How To... in 92078>Question Details

Jforchange, Other/Just Looking in 92078

Is it possible to get a real estate license and start working part-time? I need to keep my current job until I am established in real estate.

Asked by Jforchange, 92078 Tue Jul 26, 2011

I'm considering a license because I have been interested in real estate for years. But, supporting a family, I could not make the leap to full time unless I knew I was established and could earn the amount necessary to provide for my family in a way equal to my current wages.

0 votes Share Flag How To... in 92078

Answers

12
Kris’ answer
Of course you can, an if you can work on your real estate when its most in demand (evenings after work & weekends) you can start the ball rolling! That is what I did, I was a single mom 2 kids elementary & middle school an I found a way to work with my clients after work an weekends an if you work with a really great team you are able to help each other out in a pinch. Go for it, I wish you the best of luck!
Hi there,

Having no idea of what your current wages are it is difficult to give specific advice.

If you are sub $50k, you may be able to quit your current position now and join a real estate brokerage as an assistant. The advantage is that you will learn a lot of the back end work required to be a successful real estate professional.

If your wages exceed this, than you may have to search for an agency to allow part time and train you. Realize this option will probably net you very little money your first year or two.

Good luck - it's a great industry, a lot of fun, and has a lot of great people in it!

David Rudd
david@kindredre.com
Yes. You definitely can start out part time. However, it's important that you realize the MAIN way to make money in real estate is through telemarketing, door to door sales, buying ads, and mailing out marketing material. If you don't want to telemarketer or go door to door, then you will need alot of cash to do mailers. The only other way is if you know people who want to sell or buy a home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 13, 2013

Yes, one of the great things about being a real estate agent is making your own hours! I have a two year old and a 1 month old, I am able to work and maintain my family without a nanny. I would recommend working with a Broker that has the time to help you if needed. The broker I work under has been licensed for 25 years and has over 32 years of experience, he is always available to help me with questions or with my clients. I wish you the best of luck!

Ashlynn Cubbison
Sunset Properties
Homes@AshlynnCubbison.com
Yes! It's your business so you can run it however you wish.
If you haven't started a course yet, I can get you a discount through Keller Williams. After you get your license then there is more training to teach you how to DO real estate. However, everything is customized for your needs.

I choose Keller Williams because it offered more education than the other companies. Also, they offer 70%/30% commission split. Then they have a cap of around $30,000, and after you meet that cap you get 100% commission. Whereas, other companies are always 50/50.

If you would like more information, let me know. You'll wonder why you didn't start sooner!
Web Reference: http://www.ajbarba.com
Yes, you CAN work part time as an agent. However, early in my career, I found it hard to juggle another job and real estate. Eventually, at some point you will want to make the plunge into full time. Best piece of advice that a lot of agents have commented on is watch your expenses! That goes for both situations- full time AND part time!
short answer...yes. longer answer...it's harder than it looks. most agents do NOT earn enough to support a family and are gone in about a year and a half...coincidentally the time the CA real estate conditional license needs a new shot of money. i think thats because they get distracted and do not work a business plan. see jerry heard below, his advice is the single most important you'll get. the second best advice you'll get is WATCH YOUR EXPENSES. you cannot control revenues but you can sure as hell control expenses.

you do not mention what trade you are in now but the realities of our business are that you need to be accessible at all business hours even if just by phone. real estate clients keep wacky hours and you need to accommodate that. if the nature or your current employment means you have a complete inability to respond to the various calls/emails and texts that come through in a day you will be wasting everyone's time. if you are able to pull away regularly during the day to return calls and take care of business then no one needs to know you are between deliveries or driving between appointments. the new technologies are such that if you are able no one need know you are away from your office...all they know is that you were available or quick to respond.

as a practical matter the business has changed radically in the last decade and some of the old horses are struggling with the new realities...and trying to find what works in the new age of easy connectibility and instant info delivery. with the exception of a better developed network you are at less of a disadvantage now than ever before.

the costs to be in the trade can be minimized by being someones licensed assistant for a while until you get to the point where you are able to stand alone.
It is possible to get into the business part time. If you check with some of the larger companies you will find that some do have a training program. Others have a mentoring program where you work with another agent to learn the business. However you may have some sizable start up costs.
The San Marcos Hwy 78 corridor is a good area. If you were to start part time you would need to develop a marketing plan among your sphere of influence (friends, family, associates) to keep them aware of the fact that you are in the business and would appreciate them referring you to people that they know who may be interested in buying or selling.
I am currently working with my agents to help them develop such a plan. However it only works if you work at it. Real estate is a challenging industry but the rewards can be very good for someone who puts the effort into developing their business.

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE #00648687
Absolutely! Real Estate is a great career, and one that allows you to keep another job until you get your feet wet. Prudential Americana Group in Las Vegas offers great training and ongoing classes to fulfill license requirements. One thing to consider before making the leap is to check out the fees to join the MLS and local real estate organization, and what your state and local government charges for your business license. These fees can add up, and you may not sell or list a house right away. And remember, generally your commission is split with your agency, so you need to find out what that spilt will be and at what point your split will increase. It's a great career, but does require hard work to be successful. Nothing happens overnight.
Absolutely! That's how I started. I will say that its hard to get business going if you cant commit a full day to the activities that will generate business though! There are companies that dont have all of the expensive start up fees, desk fees, franchise fess blah blah etc. Some with competitive commission splits too! My company is one of them! Check us out! Just make sure you do your homework about the companies you are considering!
There are some real estate companies that will work with new agents who cannot afford quit their day job. Some even offer regular classes to get you up to speed. I would check with some companies in your area to find one that is a good fit.

Ron
Yes you can get your Real Estate License and work it part time, expensive fees for a part time job though!