How To... in Las Vegas>Question Details

Raul Maldona…, Other/Just Looking in 89130

Interested in changing Carreers.. Have always been interested in Real Estate..

Asked by Raul Maldonado, 89130 Sat Mar 27, 2010

Is it better to get your license independently and then choose a brokerage or is it better to train under a companies training program. Currently considering Coldwell Banker school.

Answers

5
Damon Botticelli’s answer
I agree with several other opinions here that you should get licensed independantly and then decide which brokerage to go with. I received my pre-licensing training being sponsored by a big brokerage and regretted the decision while waiting a year to change companies.

After you're licensed, learning the business will depend on your personality and which brokerage if the best fit for you. Some people need constant motivation and sales meetings, others learn better with books, some will get the most out of joining a small team and jumping right in.

Feel free to give me a ring to discuss in more detail...

Damon Botticelli
Realty One Group
(702) 523-7713
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 29, 2010
Raul,

It does not really matter who's real estate school you attend. My only advice would be to not sign a contract with the broker until you have interviewed with at least 3 or 4 firms.

In my opinion as a new Agent you would benefit from the continued training at a larger brand name company ( Keller Williams Realty Las Vegas; Coldwell Banker; Century 21; or Remax) I would suggest setting up an appointment with a recruiter from each company while you are still in school.

Once you pass your test then go to the company that you felt had the most to offer.

You will want to ask questions about continued training (is it free or do you need to pay for it?). How much are monthly fees and what do they include? How does the commission split work (what is the %? how much do you contribute between each % level? Does the commission reset to the lower percentage? If yes when/how often?)

I you would like to consider my company or have additional questions you need answers to please don't hesitate to contact me.

Warmest Regards,

Michele Dutchess
Realtor/Short Sale & Foreclosure Resource Certified
Efax: 702-446-3722
Email: Michelesellsvegas@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.RealEstateDutchess.com
Facebook Fan Page: Nevada Short Sale Dutchess
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 28, 2010
If you get your license first you can choose what will work best for you. If you get your license through a certain brokerage you will be stuck with them even if you find out it is a bad match for at least awhile.

Get the license yourself. Then find what works best for you. Many agents say when first starting find a brokerage that takes more of your money per transaction BUT gives you the training and support you need at first. That way you end up ahead in the long run. You can always trade brokerages later on if you wish. The training you get will stay with you always.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 27, 2010
At Keller Williams Realty we are looking for individuals that want to treat their real estate career as a business; and in that vein we encourage you to get your license independently and THEN interview brokers.

You can learn more from our website, http://www.moving-careers.com, and I also invite you to contact me for further assistance. I am a regional recruiter for our company and I would be happy to be a resource for you as you go through the process and consider changing careers.

Ian S. Palast
Moving Careers Consultant
(888) 250-9777
ianpalast@gmail.com
http://www.moving-careers.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 27, 2010
Guess it does not matter however if you can train under school learn additional tips and tricks of trade than standard class that is great.

However in classroom sitting with other students increase additional exposure and allow you meet others in the trade.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Consultant
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 27, 2010