How To... in Livonia>Question Details

Lindsay Brax…, Home Buyer in Livonia, MI

I would like to know how I report a possible scam?

Asked by Lindsay Braxton, Livonia, MI Fri Apr 26, 2013

My family and I saw a listing on Trulia that was a house for rent. Everything looked good, it sounded legit. However, we believe that we have been scammed. I don't know why we let our guard down so easily. I guess because we want to move so badly we thought we found the perfect opportunity. The listing was for the following address: 28232 Mackenzie. The homeowner listed is Susan Davis. We have been talking to Susan for several days and two days ago we sent them a $500 despoit via Western Union. I know that Trulia said look out for money wires, but I never saw the alert for Traveling. Susan Davis claims that her and her husband travel around the world as missionaries and that they are currently teaching God to people in Africa. So, everything still sounded legit and good, because Susan Davis stressed that we take care of the house as if it is ours and such. She approved us and told us that if we send the money they will send the keys and documentation,So we sent the money.What do we do?

Answers

6
Have you tried googling Susan's phone number?
It sounds like you just lost $500.
Surely God has plans for scam artists like this!
BTW, I have had this happen on a number of my listings over the years where a scam artist under the cloak of a noble missionary picks a property for sale and posts it for rent at a VERY attractive price ... but before doing so, they find out the owner's name, create an email address that encompasses that name (then it seems very legit), and posts a fake ad on Craigslist. The games then begin, my phone then typically rings off the hook as they research to see who the true listing agent is, if there is one, and I notify the sellers what someone did. They in-turn often notify the police, but unfortunately the police do not have time to pursue these idiots, but it happens all the time. You may want to see if this house is legitimately up for sale or lease with an agent and let them know, also. You are likely not the lone victim.
Hi Lindsay

Public record does not show Susan Davis as the owner. The MLS shows the property has just been rented on 4/23/13 for $1200 a month by Century 21. Should contact the Westland Police to report his incident. Good luck.

Mike Warren
Also, you're always best served to pick a trusted professional to work for you on any transaction, even a rental. Definitely buyer beware - and doing your due diligence is vital to protect yourself.
"Missionary," is a VERY common theme with these. Yes, unfortunately you were likely scammed. Report it to the police department in the municipality where the property is located. Unless Western Union can somehow get your money back, this was a $500 lesson.
there is a button at the top right, that allows you to report a suspected scam. Once they receive it, they'll investigate and take appropriate action.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in 60201