Rona Fischman, Real Estate Pro in Somerville, MA

I saw a waterproofed basement with vinyl on the floor and walls. Is this a good waterproofing technique?It

Asked by Rona Fischman, Somerville, MA Thu May 7, 2009

was supposed to stop the seepage. The basement also has a sump pump and perimeter drain. The owners say that there was no standing water since the pump went in. But there was dampness on the floor because it had thin concrete. They put this vinyl stuff in to avoid storing things on damp concrete. Should I be worried about what lurks beneath it?

Answers

1
Hi Rona- This is just a cursory answer and thought- sight unseen. I was a builder for 10+ years in Mass.
I can assure you that a vinyl floor, or a wall covering, is not going to stop water seepage coming in from the walls or up from underneath the floor. If the water pressure is there, almost nothing can stop it from getting through the concrete, totally. The vinyl is just a superficial thing so that they can put carboard boxes down on the floor and not have the stuff inside them get ruined. Its good for that.
If it has a working sump pump with no pipe blockages, then it should be OK, as far as flooding and major damage. Is it in an area that often gets water in the basement? Knock on the door and ask a couple of the neighbors. They would probably tell you if it always floods when it rains a lot, etc.
If I can be of any help, please contact me. Thanks,

Ken L.