How To... in San Francisco>Question Details

soy.pak, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

I'm a master tenant, but now on a month to month, does my subtenant who doesn't want to move (not on lease) legally allowed to stay?

Asked by soy.pak, San Francisco, CA Thu Feb 14, 2013

I have a few questions and want to keep my bases covered. What is the cost of a consultation? Below is my situation:

I have been a master tenant in my apt for almost 2 years. It was only until about 5 months ago that I added a roommate (subtenant) with the permission of my landlord. She is not on the lease. At one year, my lease was up turned into month to month. The subtenant pays me rent, but hasn't paid rent this month saying the money is to be used as her deposit as she will be moving out March 1. I gave her over 30 days written notice asking her to leave. She now says she never said she was going to move out on the 1st. I am planning on being out of the apt by March 15 and in with my boyfriend, but I don't know what to do if she stays past that date. Is it my responsibility to cover the entire rent even if I'm on month to month? Does she legally have to leave when I do? Do I or my landlord have the right to evict her if she is not on the lease?

Answers

1
Alison Hillman’s answer
Hi Soy,

Sounds like you have a lot of questions and might want to work with an agent, take a look at the listings available on Trulia: http://www.trulia.com/voices/directory/San_Francisco-agent--33063

Hope this helps!
Ali, Community Manager