How To... in Denver>Question Details

Bert, Other/Just Looking in Denver, CO

I live in Denver and my taxes are based on 2007 however the house they are comparing mine to are not even in

Asked by Bert, Denver, CO Sun May 24, 2009

my class size of lot or even price I would like to find a listing of house in my area sold between 2007-2008 is there such a public record
Thank you so much
Bert Kasven
kasven2@hotmail.com

0 votes Share Flag How To... in Denver

Answers

5
Bert,

Call the county that you are in and tell them that you want to dispute your property taxes. There you can chat with someone who can explain to you how and why they chose the houses that the did, and how yours measures up. If you think that the information is not valid, you can request to dispute it- ask them how.

I hope this helps.

Ethan
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 24, 2009
Hi Bert,
I would like to help with your question, but I am not sure I clearly understand who "they" are. Are you referring to other sellers in your neighborhood, or to the tax assessor?
Tax assessments have very little to do with current "market value" for a property. Especially if your assessment has not been revisited since 2007! Public records do reflect the actual sales price of every home sold and you do have access to those records. Often the County posts this information on their web page. You can check out this information yourself [there may be a fee, depending on the County] or if you list your home with a competent Realtor, an up-to-date Comparative Market Analysis should be part of the service that Broker provides in the listing process.
However, I think you are presenting two very different questions. The "Asking" or "Listing" price for a home is an amount set by the Seller with or without the assistance of a professional. It can be an emotional and unrealistic dollar amount that has no corelation what -so-ever to the "current market value". My advice is that if you are serious about a move, you contact a good, reliable Realtor. Find a Realtor you can easily ask questions of, communicate well with, and trust. Allow them to put their expertise and skill to work for you. Think about it ~ you would not perform your own dentistry, why would you sell your own home and forego the advantages of working with a professional?
If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I can be reached at elaine@coloradohomerealty.com. Being well informed is a GOOD thing ~ and the only SMART way to go about this process.
Good luck, Bert!
Bert -
Taxes are assessed on sales from Jan 2007-June2008.
Please read info @ for Denver/Denver
http://www.denvergov.org/Assessor/ProtestingYourPropertyValu…

Kathy
Hello Bert,

Without knowing more about the house, it's hard to find comparable sales. The homes in Country Club and Wash Park have so many variables. Your best bet is to call your Realtor and let them do a complete CMA on your house. If it's extremely important, you could have it Appraised by a professional Appraiser. I can tell you that your area has held it's value over the past few years and the homes that have been completely, proffessionally remodeled will Sell quickly and for a good price right now. The ones that haven't been remodeled recently or are just tired looking obviously don't do as well. Most people moving in want everything done, the ones buying the tired looking homes are Investors who can and will do the work to bring them up to todays standards.

You can fight the amount the county has it assessed for, usually a CMA is good enough for the assessors.

Good Luck to you,

Sandy Kinslow
Bert...You can access sales information through your county assessor's website, but it can sometimes be a time consuming process. I can more easily access sales information through the MLS system and provide you with comparable sales for you property. All I need is your property address. Let me know.