How To... in 03060>Question Details

Loga, Home Buyer in 03060

I found a vertical crack in the foundation after buying the home a month. What should I do.?

Asked by Loga, 03060 Mon Aug 24, 2009

I found a vertical crack in the foundation after buying the home a month. What should I do. My home inspector has missed it during the inspection. Can I contact the seller.

0 votes Share Flag How To... in 03060

Help the community by answering this question:


Abe Mills’ answer
I highly doubt the crack is anything to worry about. If you have a poured concrete foundation especially, Surface cracks happen, but they by no means are a suggestion of an inferior foundation. I would be willing to bet there is either a step in the wall, or a window right near this crack isn't there?

Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 27, 2009
Hi Loga- I used to be in the building and property maintenance world, so I'd offer the following- and I am not an engineer nor an attorney:
Anything 1/8" of wider is a significant crack, also- does it go all the way thru? What does it look like on the exterior of the building? Can you see it or is it covered up?
I assume water comes in it when the groundwater is high?
Bottom line is- take a bunch of pics of it, and then you should try to get it fixed sooner than later. Fixing it will only cost about $900 or so- to get a professional to go in there with an ultra-strong epoxy injection that is actually stronger than the concrete itself. (Hire someone that this stuff is ALL they do...)
If you need any further help or thoughts, please let me know. Thanks,

Ken L.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 27, 2009
You should first read the seller property disclosure that you signed when purchasing, look to see if it was disclosed. You should contact your buyer broker first, it is there job to represent you and they should be more than happy to assist you after the sale as well as they were during the buying process. if you did not use a buyer broker you should then contact the home inspection company next and ask him to come back and take a look at it. Then contact the listing agent. If you can stick a dime into the crack then it will require more attention. Once your purchase you have to prove that it was there before you purchased, that the seller knew and the home inspector missed it. It is alot to prove so you may not getting anything, however try the chain of command. Hopfully you had a buyer broker that will guide you. good luck with working things out
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 27, 2009
I would contact your previous home inspector to see if they would do a quick re-inspect. Ultimately you may need to call in a structual engineer to evaluate the seriousness and when it may have occurred.

In my limited experience a horizontal crack tends to be more serious and of concern than a vertical type of crack. let me know and I know a local Structural engineer or just google someone. Tim Dolan.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 24, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer