How To... in Islip>Question Details

Oulman, Home Owner in Islip, NY

I did buy a house w/ pool and garage converted to play room.I've applied for a c of o. Town raised taxes 30%, the house value down 20%.what?

Asked by Oulman, Islip, NY Sun Dec 18, 2011

to do? I need a good attorney to fight the town. Anyone had similar problem?
Thank you.
P. Kamela

0 votes Share Flag How To... in Islip

Help the community by answering this question:



If I am understanding you correctly, you purchased the home without having the certificates of occupancy in place for the playroom and pool? Were you working with an agent who represented you in the transaction? Did the attorney representing you advise that the taxes would increase once you applied to the town for the Certificates of Occupancy? Did you know that the certificates of occupancy were not in place? If not, You may wish to revisit with them both to discuss.

However, the most important thing to do now is to try and correct the situation.

At this point, it is correct that you can attempt to grieve your taxes. Contact the Town of Islip in order to get the correct information regarding the specific dates that this must be done. You have three options:
Complete the paperwork and file the greivance yourself.
Hire a Professional company that deals in tax greivances.
Hire an attorney, who may cost more, but may provide more personalized service.

Also correct, is to apply for the star exemption which will help lower your taxes due, although has nothing to do with the decreased value of your home,which is dictated by the supply and demand of the current Real Estate Market.

Best of luck to you,
Dorothea "Dot" Salvo
Keller Williams Realty
Cell: 516-768-6196
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
You can try doing tax grievance, call 631-696-2222 or go to, and there are other companies also. It should be coming just in few months and it's for very short time to file tax grievance. Also if you have not file STAR program yet, then call your town and get the application and submit all required documents, to get some reduction in taxes.
Good Luck & Have A Very Happy Holidays!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
1.To fight the town(difficult) 2. Change administration next year for the better economy for the better value of your house.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 19, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer