How To... in Rockford>Question Details

Gary L  Moore, Home Owner in Rockford, IL

I am 56 years old and wanting to go for my real estate license in ILLINOIS.

Asked by Gary L Moore, Rockford, IL Mon Feb 6, 2012

I am 56 years old and planning to retire in 4 years. I am considering getting a real estate license in ILLINOIS. I am in no hurry, how should I go about it? I have looked for courses to take in local colleges for test prep but have found nothing. Should I try an online course, if someone has had a good experience with this, who would you recommend?
Otherwise, how should I proceed? Thanks....gary m

Answers

12
Gary L Moore’s answer
Wow, great response! I will check it all out.

Ginger, I will give you a call for the info, btw, I bought my house from Joe Graciana some time back...a really great guy!

Lisa, I will call Donna K. also. Thanks for the advice!

Tim M. I understand that I am not going to fall into money as soon as I pass the exam. I know being successful at anything requires hard work! Sales is no exception to that rule.

Thanks to everyone, you have given me so options to start out with...gary
Hi Gary,
I am 52, and after many years in business, I decided to do the same thing . Always wanting to explore a career in real estate, and having a friend who worked for Keller Williams who told me they offered classes, I decided to go for it. It was a GREAT decision ! The class sizes were small, they had a excellent instructor who translated everything into laymen' s terms, and offered a high level of support. It's not easy, and the state exam is a challenge, but if this is something you REALLY want, do it. Online classes cost about the same, and you have nowhere near the support. Once you receive your license, you will need to learn the practical side of the profession. Find a firm like Keller Williams who offers a mentor program, and lots of support and encouragment. Good luck to you!
There are two major groups sponsoring classes for real estate in our area- The Illinois ASsociation of Realtors and Chicago Area Realtors. Both have on-line AND physical classes. There is one physical class offered in Rockford. You can call me at 815.381.1143 and I will give you the information. My name is Ginger Westin and I am the managing broker for the Rockford Dickerson & Nieman office. Hope to hear from you soon. a
I know a couple of people that have done the classes online (in PA) and they were happy with it. In our state it's 2 classes. They completed both and sat for their test in 3 months time. It's convienent but you do lose the classroom experience. They used http://www.careerwebschool.com. You can check and see if they do your state...they don't just do PA.
Gary -

It really depends on how you learn. I found the online course very good for my purposes but I know others who are more fond of classroom learning. If you are a quick study and require no motivation, but time is an issue, online is easy to fit in on your own schedule and very economical. If you are looking to learn from a classroom, I would go to a school from a real estate association like Mainstreet Organization of Realtors. Their teachers are excellent and give good practical learning. I gave you a link for an online school.
Web Reference: http://reexpress.com
Hi Gary,
The following link should prove most helpful to you:
http://www.illinoisrealtor.org/career/license
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I have been a REALTOR in Rockford since 1984.
Good luck to you!
Danita Gruber
Own It Realty
815/966-1220
Van Ed offers online courses. Here is there web page: http://www.vaned.com/
Gary:

You can call Donna Koistra at Nextage Professionals Realty, 815-391-9202. The company offers an online class. Just tell her I sent you.

Lisa Tracy, Realtor
Nextage Professionals Realty
You need to understand that taking a RE course prepares you to take the state test and not really what to do in selling RE which takes a lot of experience to be able to understand and deal with a variety of problems that you need to deal with as they come up. Many think getting a license is the road to easy money and fun times, nothing could be farther from the truth. RE is an interesting life style but it is not easy nor quick to learn. Having been in sales before will certainly help more than being a welder. There are many places to take a 2 week or month long course. Do a google search or call some RE offices and speak to the duty agent and I bet you will get some ideas in your local area. Take the class, read the book and ask questions and take the state test.
Find an office of a local board (Rockford Area Association of Realtors) or talk to a large local broker.
Good Luck to you Gary try : http://www.illinoisrealtor.org/ Most states now require 75 hours of pre-licensing courses, and yes online courses are available in most states. You will need to decide yourself if taking classes is better than online education. Everyone is different. I personally take online courses from Dearborn.com

Please verify with a reputable Real Estate agent in your area. They should best be able to direct you.

Good luck, have patience and persistence.

Rob
Gary - It's always better, in our opionion, to go to the actual classes. Try calling your local real estate board for class info.