How To... in Silver Lake>Question Details

Johartman, Home Buyer in 93455

I am planning an owner occupied eviction in LA. If tenant is not out in 60 days what action do I take next?

Asked by Johartman, 93455 Wed Jan 9, 2008

Tenant has been there for 34 years. have had nothing but trouble from him. Workmen quit on me. Police have been called out for him threatening workmen. He has complied with LAHD inspection but is a huge pack rat and I cannot see him out of the apartment and street level garage in 60 days. Should I forewarn him that I will be moving in or just wait and give 60 day notice??

Help the community by answering this question:


Rebecca Chambliss’ answer
If the unit is under rent control, you will need an eviction attorney, relo pay etc as meridith states.

If the unit is not under rso, it sounds as if you will still have a challenge. I would suggest you give him as much warning in person/writing as possible. Someone who's been there for that amount of time will have a hard time leaving and finding a new place. I would also suggest you offer helping him find a new place and perhaps offering some relocation assistance even if it's not required. Sometimes being helpful is better and less expensive than the alternative which will be hiring an attorney and going through the eviction process..and if the unit has not be "livable" as you, not your tenant is responsible and he could be allowed to stay there and/or you would owe him money for overcharging rent...yes, it's possible.

You may want to consult with an attorney.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 10, 2008
What kind of LAHD inspection did he 'comply with?' Was this for habitability? Are you following the eviction procedures outlined by the Los Angeles Housing Department http://( These often require both a 60 notice and relocation expenses, especially if your tenant is a senior citizen. I recommend you consult with a real estate attorney knowledgeable in Los Angeles landlord-tenant law.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 9, 2008
Sounds like you need a good real estate attorney...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 13, 2010
You for sure need a very aggressive attorney that specializes in eviction. ( I know of one that I have used for a difficult case) Now ,after you get him out, even if you change the locks, he 'll try to get back in or try to get back to you by breaking something. Or he'll try to get some of the stuff that he could not get out of there on time. Be on your guard and make sure all windows close securely.
Be prepared but do it, it is necessary.
If you tell him in advance , he hopefully has more time to organize his move and empty out the place, which will be less work for you later. But he could also damage the place to take revenge.

Muriel Levin
323 363 91 40
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 2, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer