How To... in 06512>Question Details

Sanchita, Home Seller in New Haven, CT

I BOUGHT A HOUSE IN NE WHAVEN 2 MONTHS AGO AND UNFORTUNATELY HAVE TO RELOCATE DUE TO JOB. I DON'T WANT TO

Asked by Sanchita, New Haven, CT Sat Aug 16, 2008

SELL AND SO RENTING OUT SEEMS BEST OPTION. BUT I AM NOT SURE HOW MUCH TO RENT MY HOUSE FOR AND SINCE I AM MOVING OUT OF STATE HOW WILL I TAKE CARE OF PROBLEMS WITH HOUSE FROM DISTANCE. HOW EXPENSIVE IT IS TO HIRE A AGENT TO MANAGE THE PROPERTY.

0 votes Share Flag How To... in 06512

Answers

5
Sanchita, my best advice is to hire a Realtor to find you a tenant. When you hire a Realtor, he/she should do a background check for you, including past landlords and employment, etc. A good Realtor will do a thorough job, and will get you a good tenant (but no guarantees!) Also, do hire a property manager to look after your home --- you will prescribe a certain dollar amount that they can spend without having to contact you (perhaps for an annual cleaning for the furnace), but then they must contact you for more irregular repairs that may need to be made (ie. new hot water heater). With the right property manager, you will be in good hands, and will reap the benefits of home equity! Good Luck! Catherine
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 17, 2008
Hello maybe we can help each other, I am relocating to Ct. from NY looking for a Place to rent for a Few months untill I find my house in Ct. My husband is handyman and he can also look over anything that needs looking at.
escoriv2@hotmail.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 21, 2010
Why do you want to hold the property? If for an investment .. is it your best option for an investment property or could you sell it and buy something in better condition with more cash flow? Or do you plan to move back to it some time in the future?
Where's the home? I'm a New Haven County specialist and have successfully rented some units this year. Joe Fasone 203-772-5712
The old saying the only way to do it right is to du it yourself, so putting in someone elses hands can be a nerve racking experience. If you choose to do this, look under property managers, and interview a couple to see which fits your needs best. As far as charges theyu differ from place to place however usually you would pay 1 months rent in commission for them to find a renter and then a monthly fee to manage the building. You would set limits as to what the can do in case of an emergency repair or regular maintenance. You want a limit where trhey have to contact you for approval before they spend your money. good luck
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com