How To... in Franklin Square>Question Details

Fabrizia, Other/Just Looking in Franklin Square, NY

How do I get a copy of my property survey I went to the town of hempstead uilding they dont have it?

Asked by Fabrizia, Franklin Square, NY Fri Nov 21, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:


You could get lucky at the town hall, they may have a copy on file. For example Lynbrook has a copy of the survey of almost every home, along with permits both open and closed. I have come accross a few homes that the owner opened up a permit for a garage, built the garage but never closed the permit (never had the work inspected). That was a problem that needed to be adjusted before the property closed. (Just as an example).

Nassau Property would be ok, but I wouldn't trust it. If the "home layout" (which is "view property sketch") Just keep in mind if the shape on the sketch doesn't match your home you have a problem.
If you cannot find your survey in an old file at home you may have to hire a company and re do the survey. (sorry) If you are thinking of puttig up a fence, make sure the surveyer places stakes. You will have to ask for the stakes, otherwise they wont do it.

Hop this helps
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 30, 2010
Although this is an older question, I will answer for those who are seeing it for the first time now. In the older communities on Long Island, Nasau County in particular, there are many homes that are still owned by the same people who owned them in the 50's. Many of these surveys are no longer on file with the town building department. In this case, if Fabrizia lives in the village of Franklin Square, the village office may have a copy of the survey on file. The Nassau County assesors website has a property map, but not a survey uploaded.
If you have exhausted all the other avenues such as looking in your original title report or your documents from closing, you may have to get a new survey. In my experience, it is generally the buyer who pays for a new survey if there is no survey found. The lender will most likely require a copy of the survey with survey inspection in order to close.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 5, 2010
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 5, 2010
Fabrizia, please remember that if you do get another survey done, they'll be two different kinds to choose from. 1) Being a house location drawing or 2) A boundary survey - The two differ greatly in cost. Just fyi. And, by the way, in a case of selling your home, it is up to the buyer to pay for the survey at closing. Have a great Thanksgiving! Sal
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 21, 2008
If you do not have it in your closing papers, and you have contacted all vendors involved in your sale (your attorney, title company, etc.), you may have to call someone in to do a new survey.

If you are selling, it will be up to the buyer to get a survey if you don't have one.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 21, 2008
Hi Fabrizia,

The only thing I can suggest is to either go back to the title company who did your closing, or the lender may have it. Without knowing more about your home and how long you have been living there, it's hard to say. Did you go to the land records department? You could look up the plat and book information online through the land records website. Once you have that number, it will be easier for you to track down. Please let me know if this helped you at all. Thanks and Good Luck! Sally Kirchoff-Keller Williams Select Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 21, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer