How To... in Wilbraham>Question Details

Bishop.robin3, Home Buyer in Springfield, MA

How do I find a good agent?

Asked by Bishop.robin3, Springfield, MA Sun Nov 6, 2011

What do I look for?
What questions do I ask when trying to find one?
How do I find a good agency?

Answers

12
Bill Eckler-Florida,’s answer
Good morning Bishop,

When given the opportunity, we recommend that people in your situation begin by attending open houses...not as much for the purpose of seeing the property as meeting and getting to know the agent and agencies. Seeing how agents interact with others, think on their feet, and demonstrate their depth of knowledge of the real estate business as well as the local market is important.

In time, doing this will also help you to identify the qualities you are seeking in your agent and questions that deal with your interests and needs. It helps to have a few canned questions to present. We like asking, What is the "best buy" that you are aware of offered by any other company than yours.

It would be fair to assume that these agents will know their personal listings and to a slightly lesser degree, their company's listings. But a full time knowledgable agent knows their entire market and should be able to provide you with several good examples without hesitation.

As a buyer, you can be less concerned with the company than the agent but picking up the local Sunday newspaper and previewing the real estate section should give you a pretty good idea which companies are commited to marketing their product.

I hope you find this information helpful.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011
Experience is #1. You can have a dozen letters behind your name, but if the agent has been doing real estate for 1-3 years they have little real practical experience which comes slowly in this business.

#2 are they full time? Part time agents have other jobs or duties and they can be hard to find sometimes. When a buyer or other agent needs an answer to a question they want it now and not when the part time agent can get around to responding.

Even the very best agent will have limited success if the property is priced incorrectly for the current local market it is in. Many sellers are told what they should realistically expect for the sale of the property and then they list it for more or much more and wonder why it has not sold.

The agent with the most listings is not always the best one to have. You can sometimes have too many listings and you might be dealing with an agent who is good at listing, but sucks at selling.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011
Hi, Are you buying or selling? I have clients that I just worked with to sell their home in my area who purchased in Wilbraham and were thrilled with the agent they worked with. I would be happy to send you the agents info if you are buying.

You want to look for an area specialist that has other recent sales within the community you are interested in.
I stress recent. Ask them whether or not they are full time or part time. How they feel about the current market conditions. This is important because you will get a feeling for whether or not they are selling or depressed by the market. You want an agent that is actually selling actively that understands our current climate.
The agent is the one who really handles your needs as a buyer.
If you are selling it's very important to review market share information.
The companies with the largest market share have access to more buyers traditionally.

Best of luck!
Web Reference: http://www.route495.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011
You can search for agents in your zip code on Zillow. Read existing reviews. Ask if your agent is a Realtor (member of the national realtor association). Realtors invest more in their continuing education and are held to higher standards in the industry. Make sure your agent has worked with buyers before you and they shared positive reviews. Meet with two or three agents and see who seems to have the best grasp of your needs. Ask what their expectations are of you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011
It depends on what you are buying. Then is will depend on your own effort to meet agents. Try going to open houses and interviewing the agents there. Do they list and sell? How many listings do they have? Do they work in your price range? How many years have they been around?

New agents can be as good as experienced agents, if they are motivated and willing to get you the info you need. They need a good company behind them, though, to help them help you correctly.

Experienced agents, and preferrably brokers, are probably better choices. Experience can make finding a home and geting a deal together much easier.

I work for the number one office in Wilbraham. Feel frre to browse our website
Hi, Personal referrals from friendss and family are always a good way. If you google search you will just get bobarded with results that will all state the agent is the best. You should choose an agent that you are comfortbale with, after all it is a working relationship. Along with proper pricing a marketing plan specific to your property is very important. Find out how the agent plans to market the home beyond the local MLS. Also keep in mins just because an agent has been in the business for 20+ years doesn't make them the best. You want an agent that is current with all of the technology trends and marketing methods.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
Keep in mind that buying or selling real estate is a process that can take several weeks, months or more. It is critical that you find someone you trust and have confidence in. Also, it helps to work with someone you actually like and get along with and communicate well with.

I always advise my clients that this is a team effort – we have to work together to accomplish your real estate goals.

What to look for?

Knowledge of the market area, knowledge of the business, good negotiation skills, and an ambition to help you – no matter what!

What questions do I ask?

How long have you been in the business? How many transactions have you successfully closed in the last 12 months? What is your average sales price? Are you a full time agent?

MOST IMPORTANT Question to ask: Can you provide me with client referrals that I may call to speak with? Would they recommend this agent to their friends or family?
What do I look for ? A full time agent who can show you homes around your schedule, and an agent you are just comfortable with I would ask friends or family and start going to open houses and if an agent feels right start working with them.
Questions to ask
What towns do you serve ? Are you full time ? How long have you been a Realtor ? How many homes do you sell a year/ have you sold ? An agent who has sold over 60 homes ( in their career in my opinion has the experience to guide you.

In a buyer situation the agency doesnt matter too much As a seller the larger agencies usually can afford more advertising. I do not serve Springfield- I do wish you all the best.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011

The truth is you need to find someone you are comfortable with and trust. From your question, I don't know whether you are looking to buy or sell, but no matter. My answer would still be the same.

You can start by asking friends and family. Then call the call the agents. Speak to them. Get a feel for how they work and if you like them. You need someone who is going to be in your corner 100%, not necessarily the biggest billboard in town or the one who tells you what you want to hear. Go online and google agents in your area. See who comes up. Read what they've written. You'll be able to tell a lot from this. Then call and talk to them. Again, get a feel for them as people.

Agents who have been working longer, like any other profession, have more experience. That is not to say a new agent will not be a good ally for you. People can recommend agents to you, but only you will know who you're comfortable with and trust.

Best of luck to you!

Elyse Berman, PA, ABR, GRI, ePRO
Realty Associates Florida Properties
9174 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33434
561-716-7824
Elyse@ElyseBerman.com
Web Reference: http://www.ElyseBerman.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011
Another good way to find an agent is to talk to friends and family to see if they have worked with an agent they had a good experience with and enjoyed working with. I would welcome the chance to meet and work with you and can provide you many referrals from buyers and sellers I have worked with in my 7 years in the business. I am a full time broker/partner for Grace Group Realty. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 6, 2011