How To... in Arizona>Question Details

meballew7, Home Buyer in Oakland, CA

How can I tell if a seller is motivated to sell i.e. when the house is on the market can I see how many times the seller has reduced the asking price?

Asked by meballew7, Oakland, CA Fri Feb 8, 2013

Answers

4
Yes, your Realtor can help you with knowing when and how much the price reductions were. Also the length of time on the market is an important measure of motivation.
Price reductions may mean nothing unless you are willing to pay the list price.
I have sold homes at 110% of asking and at 50% of asking.
Big question is why do you need to know unless you are motivated to buy.
Make an offer and you will find out real quick if the seller is motivated by your offer;
Or you can wait and find out how many time the seller has reduced or other offers the seller has turned down and find that another buyer was more motivated than you.
Buyers miss the best deals by over thinking the "strategy" to get the best price. The best price is what you offer and the seller accepts.
Hope this helps,
Brad
This is an import lesson for Sellers:
Initially they think they can LIST at a high price, and they can always come down.
It just doesn't work that way;
Buyers tend to ask WHY?
Yes I can find out for you. You could send me a message by clicking on my photo to the right of this answer. Just send me a message with the address of the house if you're interested in I can do all the research for you!