How To... in El Cajon>Question Details

Jaimerrios, Home Buyer in El Cajon, CA

How can I find out what the zoning is for MFG Home or a Mobil Home in El Cajon? I like to buy a lot and put my Mobil home on it.

Asked by Jaimerrios, El Cajon, CA Wed Nov 9, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


If there are no pre existing restrictions i.e. CC&R's, zoning requirements, etc. a "Factory Built" home is acceptable throughout the State by law. There are two types of factory built homes:

Modular, meaning that the sections of the home are brought in on a low boy flat bed transport trailer and crane lifted or rolled onto a poured in place foundation and perimeter and interior footing system that accomodates the perimeter and interior payload requirements. A Modular is considered a site built home and must comply with all local building codes and ordidances.

A Manufactured Home (HUD) goes down the same assembly lines and is built exactly the same way as a modular with the exception that it is built on its own mainframe chassis and hauling components (axles and wheels). It is delivered to the site by a semi tractor calles a totter and is spotted on the site whence it is then set up on a HUD approved engineered mechanical foundation system and a skirting wall which is also load bearing capable.

We have been in the "Factory Built" houing industry for almost three decades and offer a one stop turn key solution from site selection, purchase of the lot, purchase of the home, site preperation, architectural, engineering, interior design, landscape (soft and Hard scape), permits, etc.

We can also provide lot purchase, construction and take out financing through the entire process. We are a local family owned and operated business and would be happy to assist you in making the entire process as painless as it could possibly be.

Please feel free to log onto our websites:…

Or call us anytime at 760 815-6977
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 10, 2011
You need to know whether its in the City of El Cajon or the County to determine who you'll need to speak to?
Then call the Zoning department And the Building department to double check their regulations.
Be careful about recorded CC&R's that can be recorded on the property which the City/County doesnt look for; some dont allow for installation of a manufactured home on private land

Also they are no longer called mobile homes after 1976. what you are probably thinking is a manufactured home which when installed on a permanent foundation system is assessed just like "Real Property" or a house by the tax assessor.

In this market you can liekly find a stick built house at a better price that will retain more equity than a manufactured home as well...Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 9, 2011

Amanda is correct about a Realtor being able to give it to you. However, it is best to talk to the County as they have the most up to date records. You can go to… and enter the APN for the parcel and it will give you the zoning.

We hope this helps!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 9, 2011
You can always go to the city/county for this info. Any Realtor can also look this info up! If you have specific lots in mind, let me know and I'll be happy to look up the zoning! for you!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 9, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer