How To... in 07712>Question Details

Chelovett, Renter in New Jersey

How Can I Port My NJ Section 8 To NY?

Asked by Chelovett, New Jersey Wed Aug 24, 2011

I have had my NJ Section 8 Voucher for the past 11years, i would like to relocate to NY preferably Nassau or Suffolk county NY. I am not sure where I need to start. Can any one assist me? I've been told that ALL NY Section 8 Lists are closed. My 3 bedroom Voucher is Worth $1900 in NJ, does anyone have an idea what the fair market values are in NY?

0 votes Share Flag How To... in 07712

Help the community by answering this question:


When section 8 is closed in a particular city/town it is only for people who do t have section 8 already. You have to file a portability application to be able to move from NJ to NY. Whenever your are trying to use the portability aspect of your section 8 you need to call the section 8 office of the area that you would like to move to and ask them two questions: "Are you Absorbing or Billing?" And the complete address, contact name, telephone number of the section 8 office. You could move to anywhere in the US using section 8 regardless of section 8 being closed in the area that you would like to move to. The difference between absorbing and billing is as follows: absorbing means that the section 8 in the area is open and your section will actually be transferred to the new area. Billing means that section 8 in the area that you are planning to move to is closed, and that your home area will be sent the section 8 bill. Once you submit the application it could take anywhere from 2-6 weeks for it to be processed. You will them go to the section office in the new area to pick up your voucher and start searching for an apartment.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 3, 2015
the section 8 list is closed for ppl that don't have section 8.already I say Nassau county and yes landlords are still accepting section 8
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 15, 2014
I think it's all there:

You need to contact the Housing Authority that covers the area you will be moving into and ask if they currently have any restrictions on Incoming Portability Vouchers. NY State Housing Authorities list is here:

All vouchers have the ability to port to another location but each Housing Authority can put restrictions on them due to funding. Once you find out if the Receiving (in NY State) Housing Authority has any restrictions and what they are you would then need to contact your caseworker (in NJ State) and ask if they have any restrictions on Outgoing Portability Vouchers and explain that you would like to Port your Voucher to the chosen Housing Authority (in NY State) and explain their restrictions.

Just because the Housing Authority is not issuing new Vouchers does not mean they aren't accepting Portability Vouchers. It's a separate issue as Vouchers porting in offset Vouchers porting out. People move in and out of different Housing Authority's jurisdictions all time as a Voucher holder can move anywhere in the United States where there is a Housing Authority administering the program.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 25, 2011
I found that link but got nowhere with it, so I decided to ask here, where the Professionals are.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 25, 2011
Looks like someone else has asked similar question before. Please follow below link for your answer
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 25, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer