Romey, Home Buyer in Lackawanna County, PA

Hi, my name is Rose and I purchased a home in Pa. last year, the home is under my name only. I am married now, what happens when I die

Asked by Romey, Lackawanna County, PA Thu Sep 23, 2010

The man I was involved with when I purchased the home had filed bancruptcy with his ex wife so I purchased the home on my own. I now married that man and we are wondering what happens when I die. Will my husband lose the house because I am the only name on the mortgage? What can I do so my husband gets the house when I die? They won't let me put his name on the mortgage. I live in Pennsylvania.

Help the community by answering this question:


Ian A. Wolf’s answer
While I am not an attorney and I recommend you consult with one, the following is my understanding: If you have a will, you can determine how your estate is to be handled. If you don;t have a will there is a hierarchy of who would get your estate, most likely it would be your husband, if you did not have one other heirs would be sought out. Either way the estate would have to go through probate in the courts. If you don't want to have to wonder about how it will be handled, just get a will. You could even form a trust, but that is a whole other story. Any way you look at it, I would contact an attorney for assistance.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 24, 2010
I am neither an attorney nor have I ever played one on tv. Please consult an attorney. Do not construe what I say as advise.

Don't put his name on the mortgage loan. Just get a real estate attorney to put his name on the deed or you can create a will naming him as your successor..
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 23, 2010
Ditto, ditto, ditto. Contact an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 23, 2010

Situations of this nature may involve other important details that could influence your situation. For solid advice, it would be best to consult an attorney.

Best wishes,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 23, 2010
The best advice I can give you is that you need to consult with an attorney and preferably one that specializes in wills, trusts and estates.

Broker Associate, GRI
Lang Realty
9858 Clint Moore Road
Boca Raton, FL 33496
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 23, 2010
You should call an attorney for answers to these questions. It is possible to put someone else's name on the deed with yours, even though he is not on the mortgage. But please call an attorney to ask how to do this.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 23, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer