How To... in San Diego>Question Details

Kk, Renter in San Diego, CA

Foreign national intend to rent an apartment/condo. What would the process be like?

Asked by Kk, San Diego, CA Sun May 20, 2012

Hello, I am moving to SD for my education and was wondering what the process of renting an apartment or condo would be like. I am a foreign national with no US credit history - would it be a problem when I rent a place? Do you recommend that I find a realtor instead of trying to do it all by myself? Also, is it absolutely necessary to visit apartments and their owners? (Would I be able to rent a place using online application before I get to the US although I do not have credit history?) Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Answers

2
Hector Gastelum’s answer
Kk,
Having a Realtor always helps simplify the process

Hector R. Gastelum
Realty Executives Dillon
REALTOR #01382940
hectorgastelum@yahoo.com
619-954-2225
125*142*10754
efax 619-270-2516
Hi Kk,

I was in your shoes back in 2007! Renting a place here in San Diego, with no SS or credit history should not be a problem.

Here is what I needed when I first came here:

-3 months bank statements, with as much money as you can.
-You will need to pay first month rent upfront, and a security deposit
---> Usually for people with limited credit, the security is 1 month of rent payable with the first month
--->it could be up to 2 months of rent if the place you are renting is NOT furnished.
---> It could be up to 3 months of rent if the place you are renting IS furnished. But NO more than that.
-Copy of visa and US driver's license
-A bank account in the US (chase, bank of america, wells fargo...)
-Copy of valid passport.

Based on my experience, you have a better chance to go with apartment complexes that are NOT individually owned, but rather are managed with a property manager and owned by a Corporation.

Those are easy to find, just look for the leasing office. No leasing office? Apartment are individually owned.

I am a realtor and ready to help you. Email me if you have any further questions.

I will not charge you a dime but rather help you find what you want.

Yoann Baral Baron
Allied Green Realty
DRE #01930612
619-995-9467
yoann92101@gmail.com