How To... in 60644>Question Details

Kisha.willia…, Renter in 60644

Can I rent an apartment with bad credit?

Asked by Kisha.williamson47, 60644 Wed Nov 28, 2012

I'm a young Navy Reservist trying to fix my bad credit from stupid mistakes I made years ago in college. Now I need a new apartment.. Is there anywhere in Chicago that will accept my situation?

0 votes Share Flag How To... in 60644

Answers

18
Its possible. I would just explain to the landlord the reasoning behind the bad credit, and maybe offer a higher security deposit.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 28, 2012
Of course you can.affiliation with the military and a full time job goes a long way.I am
a property manager and your situation is not as bad as you think.Welcome to the city.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 28, 2012
Dear Kisha,

Every situation is different and many of us have made stupid mistakes in our youth.

I would search out private landlords over management companies. Management companies have set procedures and guidelines they follow to a “T” for every applicant.

Search through craigslist and Domu for private landlords. Make sure you are honest and upfront with the landlord you wish to rent from. If you can find a family member or friend with good credit who is willing to co-sign on the lease for you that would be a BIG PLUS. Be prepared to pay additional month’s upfront and/or additional security deposit.

I assure you you will find a landlord that is willing to work with you and maybe a broker here on Trulia may now of a landlord that will work with you.

Thank you for your service in our armed forces!

Best of Luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 28, 2012
Honesty is the best policy. Explain your situation, what you've done to correct it, and how you intend to cover your rent on time. Providing additonal security deposit or paying an extra month or two up front always helps. Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 28, 2012
Yes you can. Moreover, you are a military personnel which is an added advantage. Most of the landlords would not disapprove your situation and some of them who do would demand a higher security deposit and then rent you the apartment.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2012
Most of It depends upon the landlord
Hi Kisha,
A lot of independent landlords will take into consideration and even favor the fact that you are military! Don't be afraid to make application and be sure to submit a letter of explaination as to what happened, be honest and straightforward and be sure to mention your status as a navy reservist. You might be asked to bring in extra security deposit.
Jim
Yes you can rent an apartment with bad credit.
Your long term goal should be to improve your credit scores.This will matter if you plan on buying a home in the future. You can follow the tips below to attain this.
There are many Landlords/management that will work with you.
Yes you can! Feel free to contact a great leasing agent, like me, to help with your search.

Alan Maynie
Chicago Apartment Finders
773.257.3705
Kisha,

An owner may consider you if you have strong landlord references, or offer additional security deposit.

Best of luck,

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
Ivan@atproperties.com
Good credit is a plus, but not all landlords require a credit check...However, this may limit the number of rental properties you may be eligible for.
Kisha,

You need to ask yourself, "Why should a landlord rent to someone like me?" You are in Reserves (that's good), Do you have a good job? Can you get good personal references, from a boss, teacher, previous or current landlord, your Naval Reserve commander, etc.? Finally, can someone co-sign the lease with you?

In other words, can you overcome you bad credit with personal positives? If you can answer yes, then there are some landlords out there who would be happy to rent to you.

Good Luck
You certainly can -- it will help if you offer extra security deposit or perhaps several months of rent up front. Also, a co-signer can make a big difference. Good luck!
Yes, many opportunities, probably the best ones will be with individual owners. Be ready to explain and offer additional security.

You should work with a credit repair agency to get the old stuff permanently behind you.
Contact Joann Sworan 312 203-7355, she is simply the best. She is fair, honest and will get you results.
It will not be easy but yes can rent with bad credit.
Be prepared to pay a few months security deposit or a few months of additional rent up front. Also provide a Letter of Explanation as to why your credit is as it is.
of course you can. you can either put a high security deposit or find a place with no credit check and just background check.
with 3 months security deposit