David, Other/Just Looking in Huntington Beach, CA

Assessor records are incorrect

Asked by David, Huntington Beach, CA Sun Aug 24, 2008

My house and property both show a smaller square footage than they are. I'd like the actual (large) size to be on record. How do I get the assessor to correct the records, and if and when they do, may it cause my taxes to be higher?

Help the community by answering this question:


You may have had some improvements that were not permited. So getting them to do that could end up costing you in higher taxes and they may make you remove the upgrades.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 23, 2009
You said, "I'd like the actual size to be on record." Why?

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 26, 2008

Vicki is absolutely correct. This is not a pressing issue even if you are planning on selling. If you do add on, you should get an appraisal or have the assessor verify the current square footage of your home so that the difference between the current assessment and current square footage doesn't get rolled into the new assessment based on the addition. You can use the appraisal as evidence for the assessor in such an occurrance.

If we haven't answered your question to your satisfaction, please give me a call or drop me an email and I'll be happy to come discuss your concerns with you.
Web Reference: http://www.TimKunze.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 24, 2008
Your taxes in California are limited by Proposition 13, which bases property taxes on the value of the property when you bought it and limits the increase to 2% per year. It has nothing to do with the size of the property unless you have added on after purchasing.

It's very common for the size to be incorrect in the tax rolls. That's why the listing agents have the option of stating various sources for square footage in the MLS ("per appraisal" ir "per owner" or "estimated") Don't worry about it being accurate - it doesn't really matter (except maybe to Zillow, which isn't very accurate anyway!)
Web Reference: http://LiveLakeForest.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 24, 2008
Hi David,

You can call the county to reassess your property based on the corrected square footage of your house and your lot but expect an increase in property tax. Good Luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 24, 2008
Your taxes will definately go up, let the dogs lie as they say. If you ant a higher assessment you would contact your local assessor to come out and inspect your property and gove you the correct and higher assessment where yes, your taxes will go up.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 24, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer