How To... in 91104>Question Details

Buyer9099, Home Buyer in 90403

A listing agent didn't give my higher offer to the seller because he reps the other buyer. How do I register a complaint?

Asked by Buyer9099, 90403 Mon Mar 12, 2012

There was clearly a fiduciary violation. And now we don't have a place to live. Don't realtors know that people's lives are at stake?

0 votes Share Flag How To... in 91104

Answers

6
Sarkis Aleksanian’s answer
You have a right to request a formal rejection of your offer by the seller. There is a place on the signature page of the C.A. R. Offer where a seller can reject an offer in writing. That's a reliable way to alleviate your concern of whether the Seller saw your offer or not. If the agent doesn't cooperate with your request, you have a better basis for your complaint. Finally, many reputable agents will not represent both the buyer and seller just to avoid similar conflicts of interest or even the presumption of it. Hope this helps.
Before you "complain", I would suggest that you sit down with the Agent's Broker and make sure of your facts; you do not want to wrong on this.
You may place complaints with;
The Broker,
The local MLS,
The BBB,
The Calif. Assn. of Realtors

Please think about this; what do you hope to accomplish?

Good luck and may God bless
Cotact the dept. of real estate in your state.
Is this speculation? How do you know your offer was higher than another? Was the property already under contract prior to you submitting your offer? Did you make a formal offer through a buyers agent? If so, what does the buyers agent have to say about the situation.

There's a lot that goes into this. So, as Ron suggested, I would sit down and talk to the agents broker to figure out exactly what happened and why. Usually, it's a case of a consumer not fully understanding the process or what happened throughout the transaction.

Note, I'm not trying to say your wrong, just trying to make sure you find the facts. There are some unethical agents out there, but most agents try to follow the rules.
Be sure you have all the facts before a complaint is filed. Once you have discussed this with your agent the offending agent and both brokers and you still feel that you were wronged you can contact the California Association of Realtors or the local association. they can handle it.

I hope this is a misunderstanding.
Hmmm. Seems like the agent did you a favor?