Jason, Real Estate Pro in Corona, CA

zero desk fees in orange, inland empire, CA?

Asked by Jason, Corona, CA Tue Jan 6, 2009

I came from a brokerage in Washington State that didn't charge a desk fee, they took a percentage from each sale. Is there any brokerages in California that has this type of model? Specifically in Orange (CA)and Inland empire counties.

Answers

6
always compare apples to apples. If the desk fee is high, maybe the split is good. I would rather pay $600/month desk fee and get 100% of my commission, than pay no desk fee and get 70%.

It boils down to how much money you want to make. Get the highest split, but you may be responsible for your own marketing. MLS statistics that I do every month on the areas that my firm covers, show that it really is a toss up between agents, and not the companies. Between KW, Coldwell Banker, and Sotheby's, they transact 40% of the business, but their agents on average do not out perform their independent peers.

Go figure.
Join us here at Engel Voelkers Hollywood Hills. Our international network leads range in the $M range. It is not wise to gauge just on desk fee and split. the bottomline is cash in your pocket. At Engel and Voelkers, our retail shop concept at high end locations bring in high end clients. 100% of zero is still zero, thus think about how the brokerage can here you.

At EVHH, our leads come to us because of the trust and confidence they have with such a globally established luxury brand. Come check us out.. Our average agents earn upward of $50K easily.

http://www.engelvoelkers.com/hollywoodhills
Thank you all for your responses. I plan to keep my day job and do real estate on the side for now until the market picks back up. I don't see paying a desk fee is necessary if I'll be working from home and not doing real estate full time. Does anyone know of any agents in the Corona Area that has the Zero desk fee model?
Thanks for your input.
Jason
Jason
I work with Keller Williams and we should talk.

Office practices vary, but most follow the same model
You pay a technology fee of $15 and a office fee of $10, so $25 per month.
You can rent a desk or office, or just use a "day desk" if you work from home.
We offer profit sharing when you sponsor a new associate for the office.
We offer 'capping". Every office is different, in our office the profit cap is $28,000. Most agents are on a 70-30 split, when you hit $28,000 in your 30% side, you shift to 100% commission. So in just a few transactions you keep 100%.

I'd be happy to answer questions that you might have. Check my profile.

Keith
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Hi Jason,

You can find brokers out there that do not charge desk fees, but in this difficult economic climate, I urge you to really think about your career and what a brokerage can bring to the table for you. If you are going to be making a living in this business, having the support of a flag brokerage may help you tremendously.

Be well, and good luck in your new geographic area!
Coldwell Banker has a 6% fee and then you also share your % split based on your performance. Starting at 50/50. Are you going to be working in Corona? Welcome to CA!