Tdvb225, Home Buyer in Quincy, MA

will a radon mitigation system effect the resale value of a home?

Asked by Tdvb225, Quincy, MA Thu Aug 18, 2011

Answers

23
i see that most of the feed backs are coming from real-estate agents whose main concern is to make the sell. also, they have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to radon. they keep quoting the same thing "its natural" "its from earth" that is true, but uranium is natural and from earth too!!!
Radon is a radioactive gas and radiation will linger in your house. As a buyer, i will not buy a house that has radon whether mitigated or not. I will find one that does not have this issue to begin with and buy it.!!!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 13, 2012
to look into it ourselves and make a decision
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 18, 2011
I agree with the others that it should help on th e resale.
You might read up on Radon to understand the issue better. Here is the EPA Guide:
http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/citguide.html
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Aug 18, 2011
I just had a quick question I was hoping you could help me with. I am in the process of purchasing a home that has a radon mitigation system installed. the house has a basement that is 60% finished so my wife and I thought this was a very good thing. When we had the house tested it came back with a reading of 3.8 pciL, which we thought was pretty high for a system being in place. The system is10 years old could this play an affect as to why its so high? if we change the fan would this help the problem or would a new system need to be installed?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 31, 2015
It's nice to have, but will not increase the value of your home.
Hi, It really depends on the person that is buying it. I have sold homes that needed a mitigation system in place and the buyer was willing to deal with that. I firmly believe that a buyer should fully educate themselves on the pros and cons before making any decision. Most hasty decisions are a result of fear and lack of knowledge.

Chris
They are correct in that Ultimately the decision is yours, but hopefully they have given you the benefit of their years of experience.
A functioning radon mitigation system collects radon (a naturally occurring radioactive gas that's heavier than air) which collects at the lowest points of a home (often a basement)... and releases it into the air, typically over the roof.

This leaves the house, effectively, radon-free or at very low levels. The outside air has naturally higher levels of radon, than the air inside a radon-remediated home. So, I would think that having a system in place would be considered a "plus".
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
What did your buyers agent and attorney say??????????
A radon mitigation system should have no impact on the sale of your home, and actually can be considered a good value. One suggestions though is that if the system is more than two years old that you have a radon test done to ensure the system is functioning properly. I have seen a lot of deals messed up because the radon system needs a tune up and the sellers are unaware of that. Best
Hi, It's actually a good thing that the system is in place. Radon is a reality in many homes so at least the buyer can rest assured knowing it has been addressed. It is also very important that the buyers agent fully educate the buyer so they don't freak out and run off.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914.406.9023
I definitely don't think it will affect resale negatively. If anything, I see it as a positive. Radon is pretty common, so if a home already has a system in place, that's great for you as a buyer!
typically it is the sellers responsibilty to mitigate the radon and not to reduce the price, not that it matters much as the cost is very small
It will be fine for resale, probably a plus as it would be one less thing a potential buyer would have to be concerned with.

If the seller doesnt do it before you move, my suggestion is to get a credit for the cost (it will be called a sellers credit to buyre's closing costs).

Lets say the cost of the home is $300k and you are financing 10% down, $30k. If you reduce the price of the house to $298 (assume the system is $2) then you only have to put down $29,800, a savings of only $200.

If you get a sellers credit os the $2k, then you spend $2k less on closing costs. Sellers credit is better if financing.
I have read up on radon and understand it however I just wasn't sure if it would hurt in resale. Thanks!
we will plan to have them either pay for it through cutting the price in the sale or install it before sale.
I agree, it should help with resale. They are very effective in dispersing easing so that should ease any future buyers.
In my experience working with Quincy Buyers and in selling a rehabbed home of my own that came in very high, I do not think it impacts the house negatively at all. In fact, the new buyer can know that the issue was discovered and fixed properly.

Properly disclosed you should position the remediation system as a positive thing, and the mark of a diligent seller/owner whose goal was to make their home as safe and updated as possible.
Tdvb225,

Are they installing a mitigation system for you?

Amy
the test came back at a 7.. however it's a house we are going to sign the p&s this week but we are only looking to live in it for 4-5 years do some cosmetic work and move after but with this plan need to be sure the resale value is there with the mitigation system.
No infact it is a plus. Radon is everywhere, if you don't have it today you could have it tomorrow. Having the mitigation system assures the buyer that everything is done to correct the buyers concerns. Also use a reputable company that will warranty the system and pass on that warranty to future buyers
I have a remediation system in my home and feel safe having it. When I sell it will be one test the buyer will not have to worry about. The system cost about $975. and brought the raydon level down to .02 in my finished basement.
Tdvb225,

Not necessarily if it's properly disclosed. Radon is not an uncommon issue in MA. Have you had the house tested recently?

Amy
hi, im buying a house in Milton ma and did a radon test, it came back at a 5.2 rating. 2 days before the test it rained non stop for two days. I am worried if I should go ahead with the purchase and sale after we decide o put a mitigation system? IS it safe to live with small children?
Flag Tue Oct 28, 2014