Question Details

Nono, Home Seller in Munster, IN

why do realtors shy away from giving feedback after a showing when it can be so helpful to the sellers?

Asked by Nono, Munster, IN Tue Aug 18, 2009

Answers

10
Nono, I believe that many realtors have the attitude that they'll call you when there's something important to tell you, probably an offer on your home. However, I disagree with this practice. I always give feedback and believe that all real estate agents should. They can email you, call you or text you, but you should know what is going on with the sale of your home.

Often the feedback will help you see your house through a buyer's eyes and then you can help your agent with the the sale of your home. I had a listing that was "picture perfect". It was in a lovely neighborhood, but it was next to a canal with a huge metal thing on both sides of the canal. That canal and the huge piece of metal kept coming. The canal couldn't be moved so I suggested that the seller plant a row of bushes to distract potential buyers' eyes. It worked and the property sold shortly after that.

If you aren't getting the type of service you want I suggest you cancel your contract with your agent and find one that will provide you with what you want.
I
Web Reference: http://www.buysellboca.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 19, 2009
I respectfully disagree with Lynn. I have over 30 properties I manage myself on top of buyers every month and I get feedback from every person that sees a unit of mine. It is critical not only for the agent but also the homeowner/landlord.

I also always return calls to give other agents my feedback or fill out email surveys.

This business is all about hustling and the more you hustle the better business you provide to your clients and in return help the market around you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 19, 2009
Sean - I agree with you 100%

and I must say...200-400 showings a month?????? that's not an agent, that's a corporation!

If someone shows one of my listings, I consider it rude not to share feedback (return my call or email) - the seller is entitled to know what those buyers thought - feedback can help form what future actions you might take with a listing (if you keep hearing the price is a turn off or the carpet or something else that you can control, it is very helpful)........if I show a home, I am more than happy to return the favor, and let the listing agent know what my buyers thought. it's part of the job, in my opinion.

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties.
GREAT QUESTION:

I stop doing feed back yearrrrsssss ago, as a busy agent on property 200 -400 times a month heck I am lucky I can remember my own name than a property my client had not interest in. If you think about a busy agent addressing 200 -400 properties per month the amount of time vested give feedback and catalog each property. As a listing agent we instruct our owners if don't "hunt down feedback" we welcome it if a buyers agent would address the email.

"STRAW broke camels back" ... when I gave a feedback on a property and the owner did not like it , had a conference with listing agent and their broker, who contacted myself and my broker to agrue over the feedback... 40 hours later of my time .... that was last one I ever gave.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
William,

I use the same there here with all of my business. Great way to get feedback but they still tend to not fill out the email surveys I send. Just have to follow up with a call if they dont answer.

Sean
Most of the realtors that don't provide feedback are usually afraid to provide negative feedback and hurt the seller. One thing my company did was start using online websites or emails for feedback and having them sent directly to the listing agent and the seller. We are no longer the "bad guy" since the feedback is coming directly from the buyers agent.
Nono - are you a FSBO who is cooperating with Realtors??

If so, agents may be reluctant to share negative feedback directly with an owner. it's uncomfortable to tell someone why their client didn't like their home.,

If you are asking why agents don't give YOUR agent feedback...well, sometimes the agents just don't bother to call back or respond to an email. I find it rude when that happens, as I always share feedback when asked.
If , however, you are expecting agents to call you back with feedback, instead of your agent, that's not usually done.
Nono,

I have the same issue at times with buyers agents who show my listings. You just have to be on top of them and annoy them until they give you feedback. Not all are like that though

Sean
Nono,

Didn't know that realtors resisted providing feedback to sellers. In our location agents are very cooperative and are generally willing to provide helpful information.
Nono, do you mean the buyer's agent? I can't imagine why any agent would be reluctant to give feedback. Just remember, it may not be easy to hear.