Home Selling in Morgan Hill>Question Details

Karen Acosta, Home Owner in Morgan Hill, CA

why do i have to ask a question on here? and do you have to be an agent to list a home? Im trying to sell by owner.

Asked by Karen Acosta, Morgan Hill, CA Tue Jun 19, 2012

Answers

9
Lance R King’s answer
Any property owner can sell their own property without a license. However, license or not you are required to provide certain disclosures whether licensed or not. Many homeowners think that they can do just as good a job as a pro - almost never

and will save a bunch of money - most sellers end up having to pay a buyer's agent and most buyers will discount off the asking price in lieu of paying commission. This is not just a broker vying for your business - we don't work in your area.

Most FSBO properties that we see are badly priced and have terrible photos, plus you cannot reach anywhere near as many buyers. I wrote a blog on the subject I hope you will find helpful:

http://www.trulia.com/blog/lance_king/2011/03/open_letter_to…
Who is making you ask a question on here?
Karen,
I recently sold a home in San Juan Bautista to buyers from Tennessee who had never been in my listing. They watched an agent guided VIDEO Tour of this nice home on YouTube. I just had 6 offers on a Santa Cruz listing. The seller selected the one he liked best and was in complete control.

These two cases, and many more support the main difference in selling your home through an excellent marketing agent, or on your own.

In a market like we are currently experiencing - where there are more buyers than sellers, you may be able to sell your home on your own.

Make sure to make hundreds of nice flyers. hold an open house each weekend. Be available to open your home to whomever wants to see it (make sure your husband, dad or brother are there too). Gather all the current disclosures. Many agencies can assist you.

If I can provide you forms or any kind of direction please feel free to text or email me. I would be flattered to help.

Mike Walters
831.630.3717 text/cell
Web Reference: http://CaHomes411.com
Hello Karen, are you aware of the list of disclosures a Seller must provide that is required by California law ?
Hi Karen,
No you do not need to be a licensed agent to sell your own home, and there are alot of tools on the internet that will help you with it, although you do need to have access to the multiple listing service in order to get the greatest exposure. One of the greatest reasons to use an agent is not only to get you the highest and best price for your home but to also protect your interest in the transaction. With all good wishes, Kathey Graves, Intero Real Estate, Morgan Hill, CA
No, you don't have to ask questions here :) You can post your questions on Craigslist, Zillow, Homes.com and many other sites.

In terms of listing your home, you can post it on all the sites I just mentioned and may more. You don't have to be an agent. Good luck!
If you want to get your home listed on the MLS(Multiple Listing Service), you have to do that through a real estate agent.

If you want to try and sell your property yourself, you can try going to google and searching "sell home by owner" and you will find links to resources for folks who want to do this.

I realize that folks want to save money. However, (and of course this is what you would expect a real estate agent to say) the fee you pay for a good real estate agent pays for itself in what you are likely to sell your property for. You don't need to trust my word on this tho, you can do some research yourself and see that listing with a real estate agent tends to get sellers more for their home than when they sell it themselves.

The reason for this is pretty simple. The tools we have access to, and our own marketing, get more peoples eyes on your property than you can get by yourself. More eyes on your property means more potential buyers which provides a higher likelihood of finding a willing buyer at your price.

Good Luck,
Robert
You can always sell your house yourself but never wise.
You don't have to ask questions on Trulia. It is just a resource for you.

If you are a for sale by owner, Trulia doesn't have that option yet for you to list your home for sale.

Terri Vellios
Broker Associate
Keller Williams
DRE: 01245418
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com