Nosheen, Home Seller in 75028

why am I not getting any showings?

Asked by Nosheen, 75028 Wed Aug 19, 2009

Answers

18
To add to the prior answers you could also ask your agent to email you open houses in your market. Go to these one weekend and get some idea of your competition and see what simple things you can do to make agents want to show your home. As an agent I offer to do broker luncheons to invite brokers to see preview the home to get them out so they have it in mind when they have buyers to show. Its a buyers market so yours had to rise to the top to be seen.I also do open houses and walk door to door inviting neighbors. I ask them to help me find them a great neighbor and invite anyone to come. To the. Open house. Hope this helps.
Price, Location, and Condition are all contributing factors to a prospective buyers idea of a value, and in turn if your getting traffic on a listing.

Is the property getting maximum exposure to the market?

Typically, if a listing is not getting showings, price or marketing are the first issues to look at. Price should be a fit with the location and the condition.

What does your agent think the problem is? If they are an experienced and knowledgeable agent there should be no mystery.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 19, 2009
Charles - just curious - look at the date this was asked - you are telling someone who asked a question almost 1 1/2 years ago to "change a photo"......you're kidding, right?

This question is OLD...........why it was resurrected I don't know, but really - do you honestly think Nosheen is still around to benefit from your advice?
Wow - lots of opinions - some good some not so good - try changing the front photo - it could be that simple - does the photo show the house at its best?
maybe Nosheen isn't getting ay showings because she asked this question almost 1 1/2 years ago
I just posted a similar story on my blog - visit my website to see why your not getting showings.
No showings is unbelievable, in Flower Mound. Your property must either be way overpriced, or simply not being marketed. Any reasonably priced home in Flower Mound will get showings. Consider using the GLAR Realtor tour to get more exposure for your property. We're always available to assist you if you need a Realtor.
Bad location and bad local market was unknowledgable posting. This was posted in Aug. '09 when everything was really slow. Basically to increase showings: offer bonus $$ to buyers agents, offer closing costs to buyers, reduce price(even a small amount can make a big difference), clean up the front appeal, Better signage, more ads, color flyers, couple of marketed open houses, etc. Agressive marketing partnered with relistic price should work just fine in Flower Mound. Best of luck
If your home is not getting any showings, I would suggest you check out your agents online marketing at your local MLS, Realtor.com, Trulia, and other important real estate websites. Check out the remarks, pictures, and listings details. What you are looking for are mistakes in the listing info... for example I have seen the wrong address on listings.

You also need to see if the photos and remarks do a good job describing your home. If not, you might suggest a few additions or changes to the remarks or photos. The listing agent wants to sell your home. It's how the agent gets paid. So, hopefully the agent will appreciate your suggestions.

Finally you need to put yourself in a buyer's shoes and compare your home and its price to the other homes in the same price range. Search all the listings that might be similar to your home in your neighborhood. What you are doing is checking out your home’s competition. If your home is overpriced, you might need to do a price reduction to get some attention and some showings... and eventually an offer and a sale.

Douglas Fuller, Realtor, GRI, ABR, e-Pro
Certified Relocation Specialist
Prudential Northern Arizona Real Estate
http://www.DouglasFuller.com
Direct: 928-607-0242
I'm hoping your house is not still on the market. If however you are still on the market please think about calling me. Sometimes just making a few "staging" changes makes a huge difference. If you are on the market and have a MLS listing I'd love to look at your pictures. MLS pictures are critical to the way today's buyers shop.
I'd be happy to help you find some answers.
Nosheen,
There is almost no excuse for no showings on a Flower Mound listing. Flower Mound has been a strong seller all along, even last year when other areas of DFW were struggling. Something is off in your basic formula for your home listing.

Price - I suspect you are in the upper quartile of your subdivision. Am I right? If you were fairly priced in Flower Mound, we agents would be all over your home.
Location - Are you on a busy road?
Marketing - What strategy did you and your agent come up for marketing your home? Do you have LOTS of online photos on a myriad of sites, or are you relying on the MLS alone to sell your home?
Condition - How is your curb appeal? Interior and exterior condition? Are your interior amenities current with what the builders are offering for new construction? If your home shows wear and tear, you will struggle to get sold even if you do get showing traffic.
Age of home - We don't get buyers in this area asking us to please sell them a 25-year old home. Most buyers ask for the newest and largest homes in their price range. If you are one of the older homes, you can get ignored by the buying public because they aren't specifically asking to see homes that fit your criteria.

No showings is a very important signal in this market. 0 showings=0 demand. While you're here on trulia, look up Flower Mound homes available in your price point and compare your homes to the ones around you. If you aren't a stand-out in your price point online, the buyers aren't going to want to see your home. When we have the basic selling formula right, and you know your home stands out from the crowd as a best value, you will see your door opening and offers coming.

Take feedback with a grain of salt from agents from outside this area when it comes to reducing the price. 5% reduction in price for DFW homes isn't usually necessary - especially in Flower Mound where homes are still selling, on average, above $90/sf. We're a very affordable housing market, and we have a bigger buyer pool right now for Flower Mound than in many parts of the Metroplex.

Have a blessed day!
Ronda

Ronda Allen - Realtor, Life Coach, and Certified Purchasing Manager
CEO of comingsoonhomes.com
Follow us on twitter: http://www.comingsoonhomes.com
RE/MAX Dallas Suburbs - Keith Dobbs Team
#1 Office and #3 Team for RE/MAX in North Texas at mid-year 2009!
See all our team's listings for sale or lease at: http://www.keithdobbs.com
Friend me on Facebook: Ronda Wise Allen
Read my blog: http://www.trulia.com/blog/ronda_allen
Web Reference: http://www.keithdobbs.com
New Jersey - I tend to agree with you...when I suggest a reductuion, it usually is 5%, as small reductions generally have little or no impact. A 5% reduction, especailly based on the most recent closed comparable home, should get a response.
People who wanted to buy for the start of the school year have most likely already done so. The question posed was why this person wasn't getting any showings. Short of a market that is totally dead in the water........a substantial price reduction might be what's needed to jump start this listing. As Imentioned in my earlier post - price can trump everything...condition, location or any other issues.

Good luck Nosheen!
Although pricing is usually a main culprit, I disagree with Newjerseyhomeinspector's reasoning.

Pricing and Type of listing do make a difference, especially at this time as we count down to the end of the $8,000 tax credit.

Although short sales typically sell for less and do have an effect on traditional sales, We are now seeing people want to make an offer on a NON-Short Sale homes that will close according to the dates on the contract, no "subject to 3rd party" stuff waiting for months to find out if their offer will even be accepted.

Remember in addition to the tax credit time crunch there is also a beginning of school year time crunch creeping up as well....
PRICE

Cut your price to 5% less than the last home comparable to yours that sold in the last 30 days and your home will be shown and sold.

Ask 2% more than the last home comparable to yours that sold in the last 30 days and your home will be not be shown and will not be sold.
Is your property by chance a short sale? I've noticed that in the race for buyers to take advantage of the tax credit they have been avoiding the short sales and going after traditional sales pretty aggressively lately.

If your home is not a short sale, how does it show, how is it priced in relation to competing homes in your local market, can people get more for less even in neighboring towns in your area (including short sales since they are competition like it or not).

Find out what the absorption rate is for homes in your area, it will give you a picture of how many buyers are buying (average) vs how many homes are available for sale (competition) and how many homes are getting taken off the market (sales) giving a picture and rough estimate how long it should take to sell your home.
Good Question rockinblu. Here are the stats from the local MLS. Flower Mound is a very active market. Didn't check foreclosures, but 84 sounds about right and they go even quicker.

Active: 532 Pending: 84 Sold: 603 Other: 0 Total: 1219

DOM for Solds
0-30 Days 213
31-60 Days 150
61-90 Days 89
91-120 Days 46
120+ Days 105

Median Days on the Market 52 for a 4 BR 3 BA Selling Price of $250K Avg SP % to LP 96.73%
priced too high
priced too high
priced too high

Please, understand I am not trying to be glib, but....

no matter what the condition is ...........no matter what the issues might be - PRICE is the great equalizer....

unless your agent forgot to enter you into the MLS (I am being facetious), no showings means the agents are staying away more than likely because the price is intimidating them....again, even if the home doesn't show well .........or the lot is too sloped .....or the street it's on is very busy - price can overcome all objections!

How long have you been on the market?

Hope things pick up for you. Have a nice long chat with your agent! He or she should be able to answer your question.
Best wieshes
Debbie Rose
Do you have several quality pictures showing the best features of your property? If you send me the mls # I most likely will be able to help.