Home Selling in Rochester>Question Details

Ginade, Home Seller in Rochester, NY

when selling a house in NY do i have to have an abstract and a survey? if so how much should they cost? i didn't get them when i bought the house

Asked by Ginade, Rochester, NY Sun Dec 5, 2010

i'm selling a house in rochester ny, i have no abstract or survey - it was not given to me when i bought it 4 years ago, is it necessary for me to pay for them in the closing costs now? or can i avoid this and NOT pay for them?

Cathy Barton’s answer
When you bought a house 4 years ago you or your mortgage bank did get an updated abstract and most likey an instrument survey.

These are seller's costs and yes you have to pay for them unless you negotiate with the buyers to do it -- which they probably won't because they have costs of their own to contend with.

Pay the costs -- get your home sold.
Hi ,
It is necessary for you to have them. I would check with the real estate attorney that closed the house for you. See if their office has a copy of it. At this point you will have to have it redated which costs additional funds. It is cheeper to redate than to order a brand new so keep looking! If you need help with any real estate transaction in Rochester New York we are here to help anytime! Feel free to check frequently asked seller questions in the Rochester New York area at http://www.RochesterHomeLocator.com or feel free to call our office anytime.
585-279-8217, Sal Salafia Realtor-Associate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 26, 2010
Hello Ginade,
Yes it is necessary for you to have the abstract and survey check with your attorney for a copy. But either way they will have to be redated and there will be a cost for that no matter what. Some times the listing agent can put in your listing that the owner will not pay for abstract and title not sure who you are using but would be happy to help you with your needs I can be reached at 585-899-9556.
Consult with your attorney, he/she can best advise--generally the seller provides the survey, however the buyer(s) can order one as well.
As Gail mentioned ... your attorney probably has it and you are correct that you probably don't have a copy. If they have it it's typically $200 to update it and I've heard about $450-$500 to recreate a new one.

As for the survey -- you will typically get one in the closing documents - but either way you'll need to supply it to the buyer. Those run in the $300 - 400 range. They can be a lot higher if it is a property with a lot of acreage.

If you need any help with anything real estate related ... please don't hesitate to contact me.

Michael Walker
Keller WIlliams Realty
Yes, typically you will need to provide the Abstract of Title and Property Survey for the sale of the home. I'm surprised you didn't recieve a copy at closing. It's been a standard practice as well as a part of our locally used Purchase & Sale Contract in the all of the nearly 20 years I've been selling Real Estate in Rochester.
If your attorney cannot locate the current Abstract of Title they will need to order a new one which is approximately $600. An updated Survey will be approximately $400. There are a few variables and those costs are based upon fees I generally see.

Harlan Furbush
Associate Broker
RE/MAX Realty Group
Speak with your attorney. Seller provides survey as a courtesy. If none exists, buyer must order one.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 5, 2010