Home Selling in Brooklyn>Question Details

Marilyn D, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY

when is the best time for an open house in summer august or september?

Asked by Marilyn D, New York, NY Thu Jul 21, 2011

Answers

22
Open House is best now!, then one in August nd if need be one in September! Never such a thing as too many open houses, But here is my twist on Open Houses and it works very well for me and my team!

Open house, what an awesome idea, but how do you make it even better?
It is simple, get with other neighbors on the street and talk about a Yard Sale day.
Plan a weekend where several of you neighbors will agree to have a yard sale, have one yourself and get some of the stuff you don't want to go, but most of all have your open house at the same time. Your signs should read: Street Yard Sale & Open House.
It is a greatway to announce you have your house for sale. It will get lots of traffic, and you may even make a few bucks for the day as well.

Try and be sure that your neighbors have a multitude of items for sale, Baby Stuff, Toys, Furniture, Tools, Fishing and Hunting items and more.
Go to http://www.vistaprint.com and have a cheap set of business cards made up include details of the home, address and contact numbers and also Asking Price, usually 250 card will run you about $10 including shipping. Ask each of you neighbors to throw a card into the bag with each sale.
Ask you neighbors to tell everyone at their yard sale that you have an open house going on the same day and just go on over and ask for a walk through.
Have your Realtor there for the day to help answer all questions and to possible help with writing an offer for interested parties
Most of all, have fun and enjoy the day!
I do not think the month makes a difference. Our Louisville market likes Sunday 2-5.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 22, 2011
I have been doing real estate for several years now and its hard to say when is the BEST time to do an open house! Saturdays Vs Sundays, Mornings VS Afternoons, JuneVS August! I would say that out of the August or September months, I would say August. I say this because a lot of people want to move before school starts. Also with the holiday weekends and the start of a new school year people may be occupied with other events other then house shopping. I hope that helps answer your question!
Heather
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 21, 2011
September. August is a popular vacation month and you will have buyers out of town and taking summer weekend getaways. Take advantage of Septembers warm weather and the buyers are going to start to think about nesting with the onset of fall and winter ahead.
When it is raining. Only the really serious buyers come out.
I would avoid a Month where the children are getting ready to go back to school. The families are very busy and distracted then. So, Check the School calendar in your area and schedule your Open House around that.
August because most people including me move in the summer and I really think it should be AUGUST.
I would say anyt ime. It only takes one buyer and gives the home exposure.
marilyn,

I count 4 say now 5 say august 2 say sept. All had valid points as to why...Amazing you get so many different answers that are all "right."

I like Gerard's the best... Good luck with the Open.
http://blog.house-guy.com/2011/03/why-average-days-on-market…
or
http://blog.house-guy.com/2011/05/what-if-you-happens-if-you…
I would say in Sept. the reason is I believe is that people are getting into the home shopping mood more things are changing,kid s getting ready to go back to school and so people want to see whats available.In Aug.people are so busy with wrapping up summer and may not want to take the time yet.
Take advantage of early august and then do another one in September right before the holiday or right after, since you are in Brooklyn, NY, In Florida everyday is a great day for an Open House. I agree with Gerard link it to a garage sale with your neighbors, so it will create traffic to your Open House.
Here in the Austin, Texas market I don't know that it makes a difference although we schedule the community open house when there is not something else going. Schools start back on August 22nd so the last two weeks people are not out there as much.
I have found that August is a terrible month to do business in NY as so many people are away on vacation & the turnout is usually very slow. Also most agents take vacation in August. Usually if it is hot everybody goes to the beach on the week end & you are left sitting in an empty house!
The best time is August the children are off from school and most people are less busy and off from work. Good luck with your open house.
Always hard to predict...One of my agents is doing Sat & Sun open houses on one of his listings EVERY WEEK! It is an excellent way to pick up other buyers (and maybe sellers).
Web Reference: http://gailgladstone.com
Marilyn,
Because of your question, I'm going to guess that you are trying to do this without the help of a Realtor:
The reason is; this is such a simple and obvious question, that you should not need us.

When you first put your house on the Market and Listed it, you have a window-of-opportunity we call the WOW FACTOR; that is the first two or three weeks it's Listed.
Buyers look for NEW LISTINGS, thinking that they are going to be the first to see something new and fresh.
During this WOW time, I like to do at least two Open Houses!

Now, this does not even take into consideration what time of the year it is. But during summer, we count the days until school starts and ask the question "can we close escrow before Labor Day" so that they can be in the house before school starts. Can you see where I'm going with this?

If you were using a Realtor, you would have discussed this and have a PLAN in place.

There are about 50 reasons for using a Realtor, this was two of them.

Good luck and may God bless
The best time for an open house is ASAP! You don't want to miss a potential opportunity ! Rates and loan programs change daily .
The best time for an open house is ASAP! You don't want to miss a potential opportunity !
You don't want to potentially miss out on August buyers while waiting for September. You never know what the weather is going to be like. If you have air conditioning in the house that would alleviate the heat problem if it's a scorcher. Depending on how soon you want to sell, the sooner you start the better.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Chauncey Palmer
Fillmore Real Estate
347-409-7970
chaunceypalmer@fillmore.com
I'm in Midwood and definitely not the right time of year to do an open house. If your clientele are in the neighborhood go for it. If they vacation away, don't expect too much. I think its worth it to try it and learn from experience. Remember - It only takes 1 buyer to make the sale though!
It depends on your location and market. I like Sundays from 1 to 4PM.
Hi Marilyn,

Well, if you give me the listing I can handle it for you and let you know when is the best time. How does that sound? I'm just kidding..lol. Well, Marilyn I think if your planning to do an open house that mean that you want to sell it, right? Well, so now is how soon do you want to sell the house? Do you want to sell it in August and get buy in Nov. or September and maybe get paid in Dec. To me I would do right now. Hope this answer with help.

-Brian@ Armkey Realty