Krista Towns…, Both Buyer and Seller in 19136

when is a good time of year to put a house on the market?

Asked by Krista Townsend, 19136 Mon Jun 21, 2010

Answers

8
Krista,

Forgot to attach this link for you on market statistics. Trulia has a great stats and trends section if you wanted to use that not only for where your house is located but also where ever you plan on moving.

Here is 19136
http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/19136-Philadelphia/market-…

Sean
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 21, 2010
A home will sell during any time of the year for sure as long as you slash the price until the buyer comes. Key is when there are more buyers looking and it is a proven fact that there are more buyers during a peak season.

If you are looking for an unbiased recommendation as everyone including myself would love to help you but you are hesitant, let me personally recommend The Somers Team over at Remax Access. thesomersteam@yahoo.com is their email. I am not associated with Remax Access nor get referrals for this.

Just looking to help ya :)

Sean Dawes
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 21, 2010
Krista,

After may and before august/sept you have families with their children out of school so if they are trying to move and get in a house prior to the new school year it is a good time.

Winter months are slower as you have a lot of holidays around that time and no one really likes looking at homes in the snow.

The key is to price your home effectively, have a powerful presentation to potential buyers (good photos, proper placement of advertising, and have the home show well).

Hope this helps and if you have any questions feel free to email me or call

Sean Dawes
Long and Foster Real Estate Inc.
Office (215) 409-6900 ex 16
Sean.Dawes@LNF.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 21, 2010
Hi Krista, you've gotten great feedback - I agree that regardless of "time" it is critical that you prepare your home to put it in it's best light. With that said, pricing is king. Nothing cures a pricing problem, nothing.

But if you do have the flexibility there are better times of year to list your home. Generally speaking, the Spring Market is the best time to sell because it is the most popular time to buy. The more buyers the better for sellers. As Joan points out, there is more competition among listings but that is where the preparation and pricing comes in.

I do agree with the general advice that the time to sell is when you and your home are ready. There are always buyers looking and buying, but you will find more of them in the Spring. I urge my sellers to be ready to list as soon after New Years as possible to take advantage of as much of the Spring Market as possible. Often sellers mistakenly think that May should be their target - but the Spring Market is usually nearly over by then, as the school year draws to a close and focus shifts from home buying to summer vacation plans.

Whenever you find yourself on the market, be smart - make your home "pop" among the competition by preparing, pricing right, and take any offer seriously remembering that it is not where you start, but where you finish that counts.

Good luck to you!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 21, 2010
When the time is right for you.

There are pros and cons to putting a house on the market any time of the year.
For example, spring and early summer are traditionally the popular times to list a house, with the thinking being that anyone with children will want to look and buy and be in their new house by the time school has started. This also means you are competing with a lot of other listings.
Listing during the winter has disadvantages, partly because of the school issue but also because of the potential for bad weather. However, normally there are also less listings to compete with.

Frankly, these days, at least in my market, it is tough to list any time of year. Too many sellers and too few buyers.
The best way to compete is to make sure your house absolutely shines and to price it very competitively. There has to be something to attract people to YOUR house and make them want to buy your house more than your competition.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 21, 2010
Hello Krista,

Don't believe any of the hype. There is no actual "good" time of the year to put your home on the market. As long as you hire a great Realtor who knows the market and prices your home correctly, your home will sell any time of the year.

I just wrote an article that might interest you. It's on my blog here on Trulia. I talk about Realtors who have a lot of listings and what that actually means to you the home owner. Feel free to read it and let me know your thoughts.

You need to hire a savvy Realtor who is aggressive, knows how to say no, won't just tell you your home is worth more than it actually is and is an expert negotiator. You should also make sure that your Realtor explains seller, buyer and dual agency to you and that you fully understand what those mean, how they will effect you and how not fully understanding what they mean could wind up hurting you and costing you thousands of dollars.

I'd love to talk with you further and answer any questions you still have. Feel free to email me at reneeporsia@mac.com or contact me at 215-669-0589.

I service all of Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery and New Jersey.

Renee Porsia
Associate Broker
RE/MAX ACTION
(215) 669-0589 Direct
(215) 358-1100 Office http://www.reneeporsia.com
Hello Krista,

I see you are from 19136. That is where I bought my mother a house several years ago so I know this area very well, prices and market. She lives on Terry st. The agents all make a good point in the posts. Good time to sell is when you are ready. There are so many factors but if you are asking what is the market like it is stable.

Alexander Shulzhenko
Realtor®
Advance Realty One
realexs@gmail.com

http://www.eRealtyFind.com
(267) 738 0886
The best time to put a home on the market is when you have it ready, when it "shines" and show off its appeal to perspective buyers. Additionally, if it's not priced competitively and is not a reflection of the current local real estate market you may want to consider not wasting your time.

The absolute best time to list a home is when it is priced right and it's curb appeal attracts perspective buyers.

Serious buyers purchase property regardless of the time of year.....because the need is always there!