Vic, Home Seller in 21230

what to look for in a sellers agent?

Asked by Vic, 21230 Fri Jan 27, 2012

What are the key things to assess in a sellers agent? what questions to ask? What to look for in selling history?

Answers

10
There is a lot of good advice here. One more piece that I would add: Don't hire an agent based on the highest suggested price to list your property.

Every seller wants to hear that they have a great home and that it can sell for the highest price in the neighborhood. But sometimes, that just is not the case. A good agent doesn't just tell the seller what the seller wants to hear. A good agent sometimes has to be the one to provide a "reality check" and tell it like it is.

Weigh agents based on their proposed service, marketing strategy, support in place, communication skills, negotiation skills and grasp of the market against what needs and expectations that YOU have.

The list price should never be a factor to determine your selection. But, the list price should be realistic and at market value with current trends.

Happy selling!

Kimberly Barton, REALTOR
Champion Realty, Inc.
410-224-0645 Direct
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 27, 2012
Great suggestion!
Flag Wed Oct 29, 2014
Hi Vic,
There are some very important steps in the interview process such as:
How prepared is the agent to answer your questions?
How much activity does her office have in your area?
What type of technology is used by her company?
What will she do to market your home?
If you would like to discuss this further, please call or text me at 410-925-1299.
Ruth Maier, Realtor
Dear Vic,
I wrote a blog on this a couple of years back because this is a very important question you ask. You can view the blog at http://ariana.featuredblog.com/?p=33 To answer your question here, you want to look for MARKETING, MARKETING, AND MORE MARKETING. A strong on line marketing, not print, is key to selling your home. In today's market you'd be surprised how many agents still aren't technology saavy or sure where to advertise your home on line to gain the most views, that lead to calls, that lead to buyers coming to your home, that leads to finding the right person to offer. Please read the blog for more tips, and interview questions to ask. I could know your neighborhood as an agent, but if I'm an agent that is uncomfortable with the internet, who will really know about your home. Keep in mind too, where an agent's office is located doesn't reflect their area of expertise where you reside. Good Luck!
Warmest regards,
Ariana Loucas
I think one very important question to ask, does the agent work in & how familiar are they with the market in the area that you will be selling in. If there is anything I can do for you give me a call or send me an email.

Terry Johnson
Terry.Johnson@longandfoster.com
410-627-7683
And remember, this is all great advice, but in this market feedback and communication is key. If you need a suggestion on a great agent in your neighborhood, I'd be happy to make a recommendation, as that is not my area of expertise :)
410.375.5779
Honesty, integrity, experience are arguably at the top of the list.

Questions:
Are you a full time Realtor?
Why should I work with you?
Specifically, what will your plan be to get my property sold? Why do you feel that will work?

Selling History:
How many properties have they failed to sell and why?

Contrary to popular belief, a Realtor with a lot of listings is not necessarily a successful Realtor. A Realtor with few listings that has sold the majority of his/her inventory is a practitioner that has a history of success.

A selling history is just that! It's a history predicated on sales, not on having a lot of listings.
Web Reference: http://www.golftobeach.com
How well do you know the area? One could argue that city agents are a bit more aggressive. We have to be. There is so much more competition in the city neighborhoods. As I am sure you know, one block of Federal Hill could be well desired and just over a certain line it could change drastically. City agents must also be knowledgeable with taxes, assessed values, tax credits, financing changes, etc. I'd be happy to meet with you. Contact me at 410-336-2569 (cell) or Suziec@remax.net

Suzie Coronel
#1 You should look for an agent from the area that your home is located. A local agent will best be able to assist you with pricing and marketing of your home. A knowledge of the selling area and local market trends are essential to getting you home sold for the best possible price in the least amount of time.
#2 Ask for referrals, talking to the agents previous clients is a great way to judge their work ethic.
#3 Make sure the agent has a strong internet presence. In todays market, 90% of our market is on line. Make sure the agent you choose is up to speed.
#4 Check websites like Zillow and Trulia for un-ediited reviews of the agents past performance.
I'll be happy to discuss this with you, If you want to give me a call. Thanks, Rich Salla GRI, ABR (410-615-2369)
Interview in person a few local agents from different realty companies, then choose the one you like best and who has the most to offer--choose your agent with care. Ask what marketing strategies will be implemented; what plans will be put in place to coordinate meetings with buyers; what feedback/communication can you expect and with what frequency; will data be supplied to help establish a fair and marketable asking price; will buyers be pre-screened and required to have mortgage pre-approvals when submitting offers; what other services does the agency offer, if any, etc. Keep in mind that a top agent may not necessarily be better, if the property is not priced on target for today's market, it doesn't matter who the agent is.