Martika Gart…, Home Seller in Richmond, VA

what is the best way to market a 300,000 plus home with a pool in Richmond?

Asked by Martika Gartman, Richmond, VA Wed Aug 15, 2007

Answers

5
I agree with Jeff, and do a cost/benefit analysis to show buyers the true cost of owning and maintaining a pool. Push the benefits. I live in the city and I'm going to put a pool in soon. Point out the Richmond weather and how this is the perfect location to have a pool. You will have buyers from other areas of the country. Hope this helps.
All the answers so far are very good but I would add to distribute nice quality brochures or flyers to local swim clubs.
Mpg..
I just listed and sold my own personal home with a pool in Richmond. Have great pictures when it was open. Have a break down of all the expenses/repairs/opening & closing it costs...buyers think they're extremely expensive to maintain. Offer to leave all the related accesories even the pool furniture. List with an agent who has sold homes w/pools or has a pool because they know how to sell the benefits. Market to sellers who have a pool...they may want your house. Write out a description of what you do to maintain it...how you've enjoyed it etc. Make sure in the months it's closed, the cover is clean.
Jeff Mays
Sales Manager
Coldwell Banker
Vaughan and Company, Inc.
804-727-2327
The best way to market your home is to make sure the property is viewer ready, not overpriced and a value to an end user. You are competing with all the same priced homes in your area and the new home builders. Think about what makes your property special. You're up against a Buyer's Market and you need to be creative. The Buyers are out looking for that exceptional value to invest their money in. Things to play up in your advertising would be school district, location, landscaping, updating and projection of future home value. What incentives are you willing to give such as: Are you willing to help with closing costs, or pay the title insurance, or is there a boat or a 1 year country club membership that would come with the house. My neighbor offered a trip to Hawaii for 2. I personally have had good success this year (here in the Houston area) by advertising on Craig's List and catching the attention of some East Coast and West Coast investors. An add in east or west coast papers wouldn't hurt either. Use all the available free listing websites. Some TV station websites have free listing available also. If all fails do what is the rage here, auction the house off. Alot of realtors are not comfortable with this method yet, but it works! If you decide to go this route, I recommend you buy and read: How To Sell Your Home in 5 Days by Bill Effros. I have used this method and it works. I didn't have to auction the house off because during my open house, I got 34 people to show up and by the end of the day I had 2 offers. The Seller just picked the highest bid which was asking price and when with that offer. Email me back if this method works for you.
Get it listed with a Realtor.

If you don't want to go that route, at least get it on your local MLS service so all the real estate agents kind find it. Get it online to Craigslist.com, Trulia, Zillow, and all the other free websites you can find. Take some pictures and get them attached to the ads. Think about investing in a virtual tour. Normally a decent Realtor will do this for you for free. Hold an Open House at least once if you want to go it alone, demand more if you list with an agent. Make sure you tell everyone your house is for sale. Everyone.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything and I will do my best to help!

Tim