Joseph, Both Buyer and Seller in 23801

what is the average fee for an agent to sell your house in the jacksonville, nc area.?

Asked by Joseph, 23801 Sun Jun 8, 2008

I HAVE A HOUSE IN THE BEAVER CREEK AREA AND LOOKING TO SELL SOON ONCE I RETURN FROM THE WEST COAST.

Answers

7
Mr. McCurdy is 100% correct in saying that no agency, firm or individual agent can collaborate on setting a commission rate in an area. That is illegal. That being said, all agencies, firms and agents can set their own rate of commission and although this is negotiable rate, I have to honestly say, in my opinion you get what you pay for. I'd be happy to break down that commission spread for you and let you know where your money goes and when choosing an agent, your knowledge of this along with the right questions to ask agents that you interview, can mean the difference between your home being on the market longer and in the end, your results not meeting your expectations. I am glad to have the opportunity to educate!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 26, 2008
Joseph - according to CNN.com the national average commission is around 5%. Commssions are negotiable, and the best thing to do is interview multiple agents and get from them IN WRITING what they are going to do to sell your home. Many of the activities that agents due are not to directly sell your home, but to gain more clients. Ask them how many of the houses they've listed in the past were directly sold by them, and how many were sold by other agents from other firms. Compare the Days On Market for their sold listings to the DOM for other listings in those neighborhoods. Compare what a full service agent charges and does, to what a flat fee agent will charge and do, and identify which services are there to sell your home, and which are there to gain more clients for the agent, and negotiate a fee that you feel is fair and the agent feels is fair.
Web Reference: http://www.tri4sale.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 8, 2008
Use the national average given by CNN of 5%. Interview agents that have experience and know the market. Your listing percentage should in part be based on what the housing competition is on homes comparable to your home. A Realtor will explain to you how the amount you pay will be co-brokered out between a buyer's agent and a seller's agent. Be competitive on your price and co-brokerage percentages. Get the marketing edge from all angles to beat the competition ... competition being other homes both preowned and new construction.
No real estate agency, firm, agent in NC can collaborate with another firm to set an area 'commission' to do any real estate service...This is against Federal Racketeering Laws, and also the NC Real Estate Commission Guidelines...Each firm, agency or agent sets their own 'commission rate'...

My firm allows me to go as low as 4.5% and that is a Full Service Rate, I would advertise your home in 3 Homes magazines, all over the internet, and give tons of other services....Thanks For the good question

Steve McCurdy, Brass Lantern Realty, 252-349-3743, http://www.thecrystalcoastrealtor.com
Joseph, the commission depends on several things -- the level of service you expect, the location of the home, the asking price of the home. There are a lot of homes on the market at this time --- homes are on the market for a longer lenght of time --- sellers have to realistic in their expections. If you have further questions you may direct them to my email -- suesimpson@realtor.com.
Sue Simpson
Serving Jacksonville & Onslow County since 1997
Joseph,
It would be againest NC Real Estate law to quote an average commission. Each broker and company have their own guidelines they go by and use. To say that X is the average commission in an area is misleading. You will get different types and levels of service from different brokers. It also as Sonja states will depend on your home. Your best bet is to get several local realtors to the Jacksonville area and interview them to see who will be the best fit. You should ask how they are going to market and get your home sold? What will they do to drive the buyers to your door?

Hope this helps and if you need a referral to a top agent in your area to interview just let me know.
Joseph,

There is no average commission, commission is determined by lots of different factors like condition of the home location and marketing needed to get the house sold. There is a big difference between listed home and sold home right now and commission is one of the factors that can make a difference. Here in New Bern I charge 5%-7%. If you need any further assistance contact me and I can recommend few really good agents in Jacksonville that will do the job for you. Sonja@suddenlink.net

Your North Carolina Broker
Sonja Babic
252-617-0861
Web Reference: http://www.SonjaBabic.com