Home Selling in 92333>Question Details

Jill Helms, Other/Just Looking in 92333

what is the approx. cost of unmerging properties, and tax consequences

Asked by Jill Helms, 92333 Mon Oct 8, 2007

Help the community by answering this question:


Hello Jill. When you say "unmerging," I am assuming that you have two contingent parcels that are legally not two lots and you want them to be two separate legal entities. Provided your current zoning will allow that, you'll have to have a survey done and apply for a lot split. The city or county that is in charge of lot splits would be the best place to start to find out what the government fees will be and then you should contact a local surveyor and find out what the fee for a full-fledged survey will be. You may also need to deal with access easements and other access issues the extent of which will depend on the location and shape of the property. Once you are finished with the lotsplit, the county assessor will reassess the two legal parcels and your property taxes will most likely go up accordingly. In summary, it's really impossible to give you even an estimate of the cost involved, but I hope that I was at least able to help out a little by telling where to start and whom to ask. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://www.go2kw.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 8, 2007
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in New Castle, DE
The cost of completing the lot split is based on your local area. I would suggest Goggling "Surveyors" in your area, or ask a local Realtor.
In my local market we don't have a great deal of surveying done beause there is very little land that has not been developed. However, in your area I would think finding a surveyor would be easier.

I would also check with the country dept. of Building and Safety regarding the protocol. If originally your land was two parcels, did some one previously merge them? Does you tax bill show two Assessor's Parcel Numbers?

I would assume that the property would retain it's current appraised value. Of course, that may just apply to the land that you hold for your personal residence. It may be that they tax basis would shift on the unoccupied "new" parcel.

You have asked the right questions. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 8, 2007
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer