Home Selling in Willow Glen>Question Details

Terry Bates, Home Seller in Willow Glen, San Jose,...

what is standard time for a listing?

Asked by Terry Bates, Willow Glen, San Jose, CA Mon Apr 11, 2011

Answers

7
Hi Terry,
The other agents gave you some good guide lines, but let me add that it really depends on the price and location of your home that will determine how long your home would be on the market so I can't really give you a standard time. I usually do a full market analysis and if you are priced right it should sell quickly. If I haven't already said this enough it really is price. Great Locations and Very good schools allow you to ask more and usually have more buyers, but it all boils down to price and that will tell you how long your home stays on the market or it sells.
At your service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
dre# 01397256
Terry,

It is by agreement. Each agent will tell you what they want. Depending on the price and type of sale I suggest a 3 month or longer. If the relationship is going well and hasn't sold by 3 months then we agree to extend the listing. If not I either refer them to another agent or we part ways. If the house is higher end I start at 6 months. If it is a short sale then 6 months or a year.

This is just my policy. As I said it is between you and your agent.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
It really depends on how well it's priced.
Think this way. Quick sale may take as short as 1 month, normal is 3 months to get an offer accepted.
That does not include inspection, lender approval. To have a standard sale a sale of 6 months
is reasonable. Most agents would like a longer contract to make sure it does not expire in the midst
of all these activities.
Web Reference: http://sam.shueh.net/
There is none. I hear of a lot of 6 months listings, but you should take into consideration the average time to sell in your area!
Terry,
The standard time for a listing is usually a 1-year or a 6-month agreement. Because of the current market trends and the cost of marketing your property, a 1-year listing agreement would be the norm.
As for how long your home would be on the market, your agent can advise you the average days-on-market for listings. If you price your property aggressively and your curb appeal is outstanding you will beat the average days on the market.
Web Reference: http://www.321property.com
There is no standard time for a listing. Listing time will change with each market area and for each home. But for my area at this time, homes in the country usually will take longer to sell than homes within the city. Most of the data I look at in my area(Around Spokane, WA) show that homes are listed for more than six months. I'd say six months to a year would be a realistic marketing time for this area, if the home is aggressively marketed. I notice in my MLS, Realtors will list a home for lets say 7 days and then they will keep re listing the home every 7 days to one month. Then on the final sale, it will show the total marketing time as 67 days when in reality, the home has been on the market for 250 days at different price points. Between 2000 and 2004 when the market was hot across the country, you could sell your home in 1 day just with a sign in the front door. I'd go to homes with 8 backup offers. So, it depends.