Kathy, Other/Just Looking in Randolph, NY

what is a good color to paint the exterior for resale?

Asked by Kathy, Randolph, NY Sun Sep 11, 2011

Answers

14
I read through all the answers, nobody mentioned or considered the roof color. If the roof is brown, use earth tones i.e. taupes, golds, beiges or soft greens. If the roof is grey or black, use cool colors with jewel tone accents i.e. light grey, whites, yellow, blues, punches of red, emerald green, or turquoise. The same start rule can be applied for stonework or hardscape. That is the designers start point.
If you have a ranch and have a hard surface, such as stonework halfway up, match the neutral of the stonework to avoid making the house look short and squatty. If you have a two or three story house with dormers, break up the long front by doing two shades of the same color on the face, or do dormers in a the opposite color. I like to take the color card and pick the same color two shades apart.
If you live in Randolph, chances are your home is quaint and perhaps with a porch. This gives you the opportunity to play up the door, portions of the trim, or a flower box with a punch color.
Also, If the foundation wall show, get special concrete paint matching the color of the house. This paint improvement is always impressive. If there are decks, get the deck stain tinted to match the house. This will make it flow with the house and appear as usable extension of living.
I hope this helps. I do interior design. Feel free to email with any further questions. I would also be curious to know what you decide and the reasons.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 25, 2013
Color is a very subjective topic, and a lot depends on other things like if you have any exterior hard surfaces like brick or stonework, etc. Some people think a paint color looks fabulous on a paint chip, but then you put it on the house, and you have red brick veneer, it can look horrible! I would try several samples and look at them at different times of day/different types of light. Something neutral is always good, but neutral could also be boring. I would consult a home decorator or stager. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 11, 2011
Kathy,
Great question. I assume your place needs painting anyway and you want to make a good choice. The problem with an answer here is, we don't know what your home or neighborhood is like. A color consistant with others in your neighborhood with crisp trim makes sense to me.
It might be good to talk to a local agent now and possibly a stager. We get consultations on things like this often and would rather give you guidence now than after you've already painted.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 11, 2011
Look at other homes on the street and try to pick a color that compliments the other colors. Neutral is always a good way to go, with a bright front door.

Chris
I had a mix roof colors of radish colors of black and brown colors...what the best colors match...my new homes in port charlotte, fl...Please I need some advice...thanks
I agree with the previous answers of keeping the exterior color of your home a neutral color. Reason being is that it will appeal to a wider variety of buyers. Below is a link that will go into more detail for you.

http://realestate.aol.com/blog/2011/03/28/exterior-paint-col…
White or tan are great nuetral colors. White makes a home appear larger.
Yellow is always a happy color and looks good next to most homes.
There is nothing like fresh paint to perk up a home. If the outside of your home is drab and worn you will not generate enough interest to get a showing. They just drive on by.
I personally think the neutral idea is a little overdone. With so many sellers using this totally “safe” color scheme active home searchers become numb to a blur of similar properties. This is especially true where the houses were built around the same time and have similar features. Take at least one step outside the box and do something unexpected. A red mailbox, a pink flamingo in the yard, something that a potential buyer might use are remember to uniquely identify your home.
Exterior color can be especially tricky. The result can be much lighter than expected. I think the best way to choose a paint color is to drive around the neighborhood where you property is located. Choose a house with similar exterior features and style. Usually three colors are best, 60% base color, 30% trim color and 10% accent color.
Go to Wal-Mart or a home improvement store and get a bunch of color cards from the paint department that is similar to the house you like. Walk up to the door of the home you like and tell them that you like the colors scheme of their home and were hoping to use the same for your house. Most homeowners would be delighted. If no one answers, whip out you color samples and circle the closest matches. Close is good enough believe me.
The latest trend is reduced contrast. Slightly lighter and darker shades of the same color should be the primary palette with a complementary accent in a similar value (degree of lightness or darkness).Keep in mind a drastic change of the existing color will require priming and additional coats of paint thus more labor, material and cost.
Sue Linton
The Buffalo Gal
Well, Im not a professional color consultant or anything. But in my opinion you would want to stay neutral and fresh. Of course neutral usually means grays and browns, but I think good neutral colors are pastels like blue and yellow or a light dusty mauve. These are the color people think of when they get that picket fence fantasy in their heads..lol so Id go with that Yellow or blue with crisp white trim and a deep red door. Keep it simple. Less is more. I wish you the best!
Kathy,

The others were correct and they are not living in your area. Your town what I can see from our MLS is mostly white. I would stick with a light color. If your house is white or tan colors just repaint it that color the home owner will decide later when it is time to repaint choose their color. If you are switching to vinyl I would stick to the neighbor over all color. I do have a home decorator that I can recommend to you if you need one.
Web Reference: http://www.hhhpeakhomes.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 16, 2011
The big money is beige. It is neutral and appeals to a wide variety of buyers.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
I agree with the others who answered we don't know your neighborhood, or what kind of house you have but I did look at the other homes listed here and I noticed one that was a soft blue with white trim but of course that did suit that style of house. Colors I would avoid would be yellow, grey or green. A soft white might be a good choice but only you can tell..If you want to send us pictures I'm sure you'll get great answers!
Dan is right; we need to see the neighborhood:
A lot of the newer subdivisions went with a color scheme that would make yours look odd if you varied significantly. Usually two or three shades of beige with brown trim. If this is the case, stay with them.

If you're in an older neighborhood and there is a lot of variation, try to stay neutral: You are not going to please everyone, so try to please the most.
I could almost recommend not painting it at all, and let the new owners choose, but if the curb appeal is lacking, then you need to do something.

I absolutely can tell you what NOT to paint it;
Gray or Charcoal with any trim color will look depressing.
White is too stark, and shows all the dirt and spiderwebs.
Naturally, avoid bright colors.

Probably the best bet would be a pastel, Yellow, Beige, Rose.

Good luck and may God bless
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 11, 2011