Jdavis, Home Seller in 80005

what commision should I expect to pay a realtor for listing and selling my home?

Asked by Jdavis, 80005 Wed Aug 25, 2010

I am getting my single family home ready to list and am wondering what the acceptable ranges of charges and commissions are in this area.

Answers

7
As everyone has mentioned, commission rates are a negotiable item. I would tell you, through experience, is be careful about using an agent who is quick or eager to lower their commission or provides a lower commission than others. This profession is no different than any other. You get what you pay for. If you truly want to get your home sold in the shortest time for the highest possible price, you need to hire a professional who will do the job and do it right. The commission rate doesn't mean much if you're on the market too long and your home gets stale. That situation, almost always, leads to you selling the home for less than you should have had to. The faster it sells, the better price you will get. Make sure you hire an agent who offers a full marketing plan and can offer a guarantee on selling your home. Cheaper rates in most cases mean poorer quality. Do your homework.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 17, 2010
Although Commissions can be negotiated, but remember that commission is for both agents and it could detour agents from showing your home. If you have a good agent it is worth every dime to pay the full commission as you do get what you pay for. Most people do not try to negotiate with their lawyer or doctor, this is just as important..
Commissions are definitely negotiable (anywhere from 6-8% normally), however whatever commission you decide on with your agent, just be sure that you feel confident and comfortable with that agent and the work that they are committed to doing for that amount.

On one hand, you might look at the sales commission as a lot of money that you don't really feel that is deserved, but on the other hand, if you are working with a really talented agent that truly cares about you and your next chapter in life, the sales commission is quite worth getting you there in quicker, with less stress and more ease!!

Do what feels right and establish a good working relationship from the start! Sorry to go off on a tangent, but I just feel like these things are more important at times than negotiating commissions!
Web Reference: http://www.brookehengst.com
Comission are negotiable like the other agenst have said. Generally 6-8% one thing to keep in mind when you are looking at comissions; don't necesarily look at the rate but at the service. Usually someone that is offering a cut rate commission will not give you the best service or will be more hands off. You want someone that is in your corner everystep of the way.
Interview several agents. Ask their rate and what they will do for you. Ask about their experience and track record. Make sure they are knowlegeable about your area and remember you have the right to negotiate any and all commissions. No rate is set. An agent can in fact decide that they do not negotiate but that is the agent's decision or that firm's decision. Be careful selecting an agent by rate alone. Be a wise and careful shopper.
Keep in mind that all commissions are negotiable between you and your agent, there are no set standards--interview a few agents from different realty companies--choose the one you like best and the one who has the most to offer.
Commissions are negotiable. Whatever commission an agent quotes you, be sure you understand what services they will or won't provide, and be sure you know how much co-op they will offer. Co-op is the amount that the buyer's agent will be paid. It comes out of what you pay your agent. Sometimes an agent will quote you a commission that doesn't include the co-op, or they offer a low co-op. The vast majority of home sales result from a buyer's agent bringing their client to see the home. If the co-op being offered is low, many buyer agents will not show your home.

Personally, I charge a lower commission of the seller is also buying, and I charge a lower commission if the buyer doesn't have their own agent. Every agent/agency has their own policies. Let me know if you'd like to discuss this more.