Ashley, Home Seller in Chesapeake, VA

were military looking to sell our 4br/2th ranch style home and was wondering about open houses...do they really work?

Asked by Ashley, Chesapeake, VA Tue May 14, 2013

Answers

29
As prior military and now realtor, I can tell you they are very useful, not only to you but also the realtor. If you would like some assistance please feel free to contact me at any time.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 1, 2014
Ashley,

An open house is one of the ways to sell a home!! Simply throwing a sign in front of your house on Saturday won't sell the home; it takes prep, invitations, a properly presented home...a lot of work to make an Open House successful.

Remember an open house is one "tool" to move a home from listed to sold.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 14, 2013
Hi Ashely,

Did you ever get the help you needed? Let me know :) Lisa Arnold
Ashley,

Being prior Military myself, There are a few tricks to the trade working around Military life schedules that some may not understand. If you would like any advice or tips feel free to give me a call anytime.

John King
Keller Williams
757.270.3994
http://www.757militaryrealestate.com
Our research shows that 40% of all home buyers attend Open Houses. Even if it's not your home they choose, it's wise to include some.
Yes they do help sell your home!! I just received an offer on the 2nd open house that I held! The home had been on the market for almost a year, with no open houses... they only had 5 people the entire time it was for sale.

I hosted the 2nd open house and had 15 people come through and at the end of the day I had 2 families that made offers! One fell off and we have an excepted offer and going to inspections and contact within the next week!

I never thought I would sell one form hosting an open house and now I'm a believer for sure!
An open house gives you the opportunity to show your home to a wider audience. Holding an open house will help your home stand out from others when people are searching, and will draw them in to look at it. The signs announcing an open house will also bring in people who just happen to see them while driving or walking in the area.

Nora L. Walsh, Realtor
nwalsh@roseandwomble.com
(757) 277-1023 (cell)
(757) 547-1234 (office)
Rose&Womble Realty
Chesapeake, Virginia
Licensed in Virginia
Yes, Open House works but not always directly. Usually the sale comes from someone that has been to the open house sharing it will a family member, friend or co-worker. Once in a while you will get a buyer direct from the open house. Anytime you give your house exposure it's one step closer to a buyer. Good Luck!
Open house are not only beneficial to you as the seller but to the realtor as well. It is nice as a buyer to be able to be able to preview a home of interest and also to speak with the agent holding the home open. Neighbors also get the chance to preview the home and in turn are able to tell family and friends about your home and what it has to offer. The realtor or agent who is holding the open house can also receive leads for other properties. Some realtors or agents do not like open houses and believe they are a waste of time. I however very much disagree.
Hi Ashley,
Open House can be disruptive to the owners and an inconvenience. Some Realtors don't like them they are time consuming.
But there are some very good reasons to hold Open House..
Your home needs as much exposure as possible, you never know where a potential buyer will come from.
The neighbors will be talking to each other, their friends and family about the house, a buyer can easily come from a source like that.
agents often attend with their buyers, so it gives them another opportunity to consider the house.
Open houses are great because it creates the opportunity for a prospective buyer to fall in love with you house and build that magical connection that buyers are looking for. It's important to hold an open house at the right time as well. Open houses should always be help within the first 1-6 weeks of it being listed because it's hot and new which means people will want to see it and will generate a buzz about it. Anytime after that, buyers will assume something is wrong with it or it's over priced which is why an open house is being held hoping to get an offer. Good luck to you.
Every opportunity you can use to put your home out there to a potential buyer is always an option. If the showing requests are coming in then you can be safe to say the marketing is working. If the offers are not coming within the first few weeks then you want to look at your price in comparison to what has sold in the last 6 months in your area based on similar condition. Reminder: it only takes one buyer!

If you would like some help please don't hesitate to call for a consultation-- 757-620-7294

Sincerely, JenniMac
Rose & Womble Realty

http://www.jennimac.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
Yes they do help. Because it gives buyers the chance to see your home. Coming out to open houses allow the buyers to see themselves living in the home that they are looking to purchase, and ask questions about the home. It also let's the buyer know that you are welcoming them to come out and see my home, and you can ask them questions as well. Your neighbors will come out too and may know someone who is looking to move the area. Exposure is good.
Hi Ashley. Have you sold your home yet and have you done any open houses lately? Open houses are a great way to give your home maximum exposure to potential buyers but not many homes are sold by open houses and you may have many unqualified "lookers". I also recommend having a lender available at my open houses as well. Contact me if you would like to discuss some of my other marketing tips and ideas..
Web Reference: http://www.annmarkley.com
Holding an open house is definitely worthwhile. It allows people who are already considering moving to your neighborhood an opportunity to view your home. I sold a home during an open house to a family who was renting in the neighborhood.
I am a realtor and do both resale and new home sales and I believe Open Houses are a wonderful tool to get people in your home that maybe interested in purchasing or possibly know someone else who may be interested! Go for it!
hi there, being former military myself the answer to your question is yes. although nothing is ever guarenteed the open house will allow more exposure and your neighbors will be curious and mention it to their friends who in will more than likely come and view and could possibly buy. open houses are a good source for just passing by possible buyers.
Hi Ashley,

Any update on your home?

I know this isn't an answer but just curious.

Ashley,

How have your open houses been? Been getting alot of traffic?

Amanda Durham-Martin
(321) 806-6717
http://www.amandasellshomes.kwrealty.com
RealtorADMartin@gmail.com
Wow! You have received a lot of wonderful responses to your questions. All of the answers are correct in one fashion or the other. :)

Open houses are a great tool because they get "a buzz" around the neighborhood and get traffic in the door. That is your ultimate goal. The more potential buyers that see your home, after prepping it to show well, the more of a chance for an offer.

Marketing your home with a realtor is the best way to get it priced right, staged correctly for an open house, and get more exposure with the MLS. This way more potential "pre-qualified" buyers will preview your home. Plus, the realtor will help you negotiate an offer and help with the task of all of the paperwork.

Good luck on the sale of your home! Please contact me or any other professional. I can help you with every step of the process.

Terry M. Smith
Rose and Womble Realty
direct: 757-377-1443
http://www.letsfindhomes.com
Ashley,

I'd love to show you our marketing plan slide show. What's a good email I can send it to?

Jamie Harvill, Realtor
1st Class Real Estate
Rhyan Finch Real Estate Team
#1 Mega Team in Hampton Roads in 2012 selling 900 homes
And over $140 million in Real Estate
http://www.1stclassRE.com
(757) 617-9695 Mobile
(757) 504-4636 Office
580 Lynnhaven Pkwy, Suite 101
Virginia Beach VA 23452
Ashley, I understand Alan's remarks. USAA does have relationship with Realtors like me but be sure to interview the randomly assigned USAA agent and another agent like me(if not assigned) to ensure you have the right person working for you.

Though Moving Advantage can aid you financially, you need to verify that it is the right move. Money can be lost where it was thought to be a savings.

Bryan Cerny
Rose&Womble
Licensed in VA & NC
Chesapeake
If you're military... are you also a USAA member? If so, you should contact them, and they'll set you up with a Realtor, and Mover's Advantage benefits.
Alan May, Real Estate Pro in Evanston, IL
Of course they work, if you work them right. If you work them wrong, biggest waste of time a seller can try to do.
Ashley,
Lots of great responses from all the professionals who have responded.
-
In regards to the effectiveness of open houses, this is greatly dependant on the community. If easily accessible, desirable and with little turn over, an open house, properly implemented, can prove the most efficient way to sell your home in a restricted time window.
-
Have a discussion with your Realtor (r) speciificly focused on buyer origination. This is an essential understanding for a properly implemented open house that is result, not fishing, focused.

Best of Success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
First, thank you for your service. The most important thing is finding a local agent who is well experienced in listing homes in your area and will guide you through each step of the listing and selling process, They should then be able to price your home at true and current market value. Open houses are not a must any linger, if you are in a high traffic area you may attract ptential buyers but will attract more lookers. Being priced right, having a good selection of pictures and proper marketing will attract qualified buyers who are ready to buy and be less intrusive to you.
Hi Ashley-

There are a couple important keys to selling your home. The first and most important is understanding the value of your home. Pricing your home correctly is critical.

I am both a Realtor and a Licensed Appraiser and would be happy to meet with you to discuss what your home is worth for no charge. We can chat briefly about what I would do as a Realtor to sell your home, and you can decide what course is best for you to take. (I once had a window salesman hold me hostage in my own home for 3 hours with his sales pitch! I will be brief and answer your questions if you want to meet - lol!)

To answer this specific question, an open house can help generate interest in your home if advertised correctly. The statistic are low for an actual sale from an open house, but it does happen and you are only looking for one buyer.

Hope that helps!

Jo Anne Gallant
Realtor / Licensed Appraiser
Exit Realty Professionals
757-995-6209
http://VirginiaRealEstateGirl.com
Email: VirginiaRealEstateGirl@gmail.com
Ashley,
To answer both of your questions.
First question MLS is great, because it puts your home in front of thousands of agents, which then we tell our clients about the home we find on the MLS.
Second question, open houses are great because it gives customers that are looking more comfortable, they do not have the pressure of a agent bugging them. I would like to help you out with any advice I can give to you, and answer your questions you may have to list your home. I am a military spouse and I know the feeling of getting up and move to another location.
Thank You,
Drew Brooks
William E. Wood & Assoc.
757-774-5868
drewbrooks@williamewood.com
It's always better to have people looking at your house, than to have no one. I personally bought one of my previous homes, from attending the open house. You can learn a lot of facts about selling at my site.