Home Selling in Chicago>Question Details

Michael Vanc…, Home Seller in Chicago, IL

we have a property to sell at 5241 N. Long, Chicago. we need referral for realtor in that area.

Asked by Michael Vancalbergh, Chicago, IL Thu Jan 20, 2011

Are we better off updating the property for sale or selling as is? No mortgage or issue in selling. We do not reside in this home, but we are POA's.

Answers

21
Hi there, Michael!

Thank you for your posted question.

In order to advise you accurately and specifically, a realtor will need to take a look at the home - or AT LEAST view photos and speak with you about it. We have several real estate experts who specialize in listing homes in the Jefferson Park area.

Please give us a call at 312.242.1000 - and we will put you in touch asap!
Web Reference: http://www.dreamtown.com
Michael,

I would like the opportunity to take a look at the property and evaluate what needs to be done as well as answer any questions you may have. I live just minutes away and think this would be a great listing for our office.

Robert Nowak
Broker Associate
773-699-5151 (direct)

RE/MAX City
7020 W. Higgins
Chicago, IL 60656
Hi, Michael.

My name is Paulette Bezazian, and I am a Broker Associate with Keller Williams Lincoln Square, here in Chicago. I have been in the real estate business for 19 years and would love to have the opportunity to assist you with a free, no-obligation consultation to review your options. You may contact me by email at paulettebezazian@gmail.com or by phone as below:

Paulette Bezazian
Broker Associate
Keller Williams Lincoln Square
2156 West Montrose
Chicago, IL 60618
773-564-4280 (office)
773-550-4151 (cellular)
Michael,

Here's some points to consider when selling;

A.) Pricing- Many buyers are interested in distressed properties, you need to make sure your home reflects a fair market value.

B.) Presentation- The home should be presentable and some minor repairs or maintenance should be considered.

C.) Realtor- The real estate agent you decide to hire should have the following qualifications.
1. full time real estate agent
2. knowledge of the area
3. marketing skills / plan
4. team support
5. financial stability..this may reduce marketing expenses.

I am familiar with this area and would be happy to assist you but honestly I don't have a buyer for a single family home in that area at this time, but I do have the qualifications I mentioned above.

Fell free to contact me at any time..

Jose Hernandez
Keller Williams, Gold coast
312-788-7079
Dear Michael,

John is right in that you should anticipate receiving a lot of responses from agents offering to list your home for sale.

I'm not going to weigh in on the update or sell as is question as I think that question both; is best directed toward the real estate agent that you hire to assist you with selling your property (if you choose to hire anyone which you may not), and the answer to that question is typically specific to the property in question rather than universally applicable to everyone and every property.

If you are looking for referrals for agents to speak to about selling your home, I can certainly refer you to some Keller Williams agents who are very familiar with the area. There are about 400 or so of us in Chicago. I can forward you a few names if you'd like, and I'd agree with many of the respondents here that you should interview multiple agents before hiring one to sell your home.

I have to disagree slightly with Phillip's response.

He is correct to say that you absolutely do not have to sign a listing agreement to have an agent show their buyers your property. However most buyer's agents will require you to sign either a "one time showing agreement" or a "for sale by owner showing agreement." These documents are to ensure that the buyer's agent would be paid their commission if/when you ever sold your home to their specific client.

At the time that you'd be asked to sign such an agreement, at that point the buyer's agent should disclose the names of the specific clients who they're planning to bring in to see your home. You should NEVER sign a "one time showing agreement" or a "for sale by owner showing agreement" that does not include the specific names of the buyers in question.

Like Tommy- I too have some buyers who are looking for a home in the area. They've been concentrating their search a little bit more in Albany Park, but we've been having some difficulty finding exactly what they'd like to purchase. If you'd be interested in showing it to them, then please feel free to contact me at any time. I'll give them the property address and have them drive by and determine whether or not they'd like to see your property.

Let me know if I can be of additional assistance or if you'd like to receive the names of some specific agents to speak with about listing your home for sale.

Christopher Thomas
Broker Associate, Keller Williams Realty Chicago Consulting Group
716 E. 47th St. Chicago, IL 60653
(773) 418-0640 (cell) (312) 577-0985 (fax)
cthomas@kw.com
http://www.myagentchris.com
Lots of answers on this one.

If you are interested in selling by owner but still having all the exposure of the MLS check out our company- http://www.ChicagoFlatFeeMLS.com it could save you 50% - 100% on Real Estate commissions.

Best advise in today's market is to price it to sell not to play negotiating games. Minor updating is always important such as a fresh coat of paint, clean carpeting and decluttering. But once again price is king
Web Reference: http://www.kalerealty.com
As you know we are in a buyers market in most area's in the city. What motivates buyers most is price. If your home is priced right then it will sell. I know the area where the home is located and I did some research and found out the home is a Chicago Style Bungalow. Both area and style are very desirable to buyers who are employed by the city and need to live in the city.

I would say in today's real estate market you would be better off not putting any more money into a home you want to sell unless there are issues that will come up in a property inspection report. Buyers will have the home inspected and if any major issues are reported then the buyer will want to get a credit at closing or re-negotiate a new sale price.

I would be glad to give you my opinion of the value of your home and would like the opportunity to represent you in the sale when you decide to put the home on the market.
Michael,

It all depends on the type of property and how much you want to get from it. If it's a bungalow for example, there are quite a bit of investors in this neighborhood that would like to rehab such a property. If it's a little ranch style home, you'd be better off updating and freshening up to generate interest. (Simple examples, I know.) Pick a real estate agent that knows the area well, have them run through it with you, and they should be able to answer any questions you have once they know what they are working with.

I live and work in the neighborhood, so if you decide to interview a few agents, give me a buzz.

Marcin
773-814-4878
I would say your better of selling it as is. The money your going to sink into the place you probably won't end up getting it back. If your looking for a good agent, interview as many as possible. At least 3. See what they can do for you and if their services match what your looking for.

Matt Laricy
Americorp Real Estate
Brokers Associate, e-PRO
Mlaricy@americorpre.com
(708)250-2696
I would be happy to help you. Since 1989, I have helped hundreds of sellers and buyers through my services. I live just 3 minutes from that address, and frequent the neighborhood to visit my in-laws who live across from the field/green space facing St Cornelius.

Give me a chance to interview for the job of serving you in getting this property sold.

Let me know when I can see the property...before you make a decision to list with another broker!
I have a few clients looking in the area. One that is a cash buyer looking for a fixer. Feel free to email or call me. You won't save half on the commission, but we can work out a lower commission than a full listing. If anyone out there has a pocket listing on the north side let me know I am working with over 100 serious buyers (not an exaggeration) right now and if it is a good deal, I have someone that will buy.

Mark Malave
Web Reference: http://www.markmalave.com
As already mentioned, you need to be careful as to what you spend on updates because your return on that money is poor in this market, but making updates can also be the difference between finding a buyer and not. That is a very nice area of jefferson park, yet I have a friend who lives on Liano and she decided not to sell last year because the comparable prices were too poor.
You need to have a few agents look at your property and advise you what to do and not to do. You will be surprised to hear the various and probably conflicting suggestions. Once they give you a market analysis as to what you might expect to get you will then have a much better idea as to how to get the biggest bang for your buck.
If anyone on this forum tells you that they have buyers for that area, let them bring those buyers over. You do not need to sign a listing agreement first. Just let them show the place and if they write an offer you can save half the commission!! If they don't write an offer then keep looking.
My web site might have some helpful information about selling.
Hi Michael,

Every property is unique but I would generally recommend some minor updates such as paint and such to make the property look its best before selling. It is typically not in a seller’s best interest to spend a lot of money on a property just before selling. Most updates will not give you 100% or more return on your investment. I live in nearby Mayfair and have been selling real estate for 9 years and would certainly love to discuss your options with you. If you decide it is time to sell, Dream Town has an unmatched web presents and marketing package (my email: bjgproperties@gmail.com).
I see that John Gall also answered your questions. I have known him for a number of years and also recommend John.
Hello Michael,
I know that you're asking for a referral, but I have a question for you.
I have a couple that's looking for a single family home in that area. Are you showing the property now? We'll be out Sunday morning before the game.

Can you please email some information about the home?
tommyhicks@kw.com

Hi Michael,
All of the answers on here have their merit. It really comes down to finding an agent who knows the area well and the market values for that area. The agent needs to view the house first because there are many inexpensive updates you can do that will produce a great return. I lived in Jefferson Park half of my life and that area really has a lot of action right now, but it is also saturated with distressed properties (foreclosures), so you really need to price it right. Being that you dont reside there and have POA, I'm sure you'd prefer to get it sold quickly. So please check out my website and give me a call or email me.
Michael,

I have several listings in the area and have quite a few buyers that are looking in your neighborhood for both remodeled and as-is homes. I think I can garner quite a bit of interest within the first 30-45 days of listing the property to get it sold. I'd be happy to meet with you and discuss marketing strategies for your home and answer any and all questions.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Monica Sobieski
Broker
Concept Realty Group
monica@concept-dev-realty.com
312-376-0730
Michael,

You are sure to garner numerous responses.

Any Realtor® worth their salt, will tell you that you that they will have to see the home firsthand in order to offer you specific advice. Without seeing your home, you must consider your return on investment for the areas you wish to update. Individually, each area, such as a kitchen remodel, bath remodel, new deck, etc...will likely not recoup 100% of the cost. However, the overall value and presentation of the home will help in a more timely sale. That has an intrinsic value when considering the time value of money.

I am very experienced, as are other Realtors® on this forum. I may stand out in that I sell in the area regularly and I grew up in Jefferon Park in the Indian Woods community near the corner of Elston and Central.

Feel free to contact me if you would like a no obligation consultation.

John Gall ABR SFR
Broker
Realty Executives SourceOne
Hello Michael:

I would be happy to meet with you and give you a current market analysis of your home. I grew up in Evanston and lived in Chicago for quite some time as well while going through college. Many buyer's are looking for something that they can move right into and not do anything to update it, but if you are willing to price it right without doing the updates - I say you might just be better of leaving it as is and not going through the aggrivation and expense. It would all truly depend on your motivation. Feel free to contact me directly if you would like to set a time to meet for coffee where we can get more specific to your situation.

Thank you & Good Luck
Linda Dressler, Realtor®
SRES, SFR, ADPR
My name is Len Nevin with Koenig & Strey. I live and work in the area that your property is located and have been selling since 2002. I can be reached at 312-204-5003 or at lnevin@koenigstrey.com.

I would need to view the property to see if you need to do anything to the property.

I look forward to speaking with you.
Web Reference: http://lennevin.com
There are many realtors in your area. I'd interview several. Let the updating be done by the next buyer. Sell as is. You might not get your "updated" money back. Call me 312/328-9247
Hi Michael,

I am a local Realtor who can assist with your home sale. I have over 12-years professional experience selling residential real estate.

I can be reached directly at 847-275-5528

David Jaffe-SRES, CDPE
Realtor-Coldwell Banker