Home Selling in Verona>Question Details

Heidi, Home Seller in Verona, PA

we closed in a back porch on our house and failed to get a permit. What do we do now to sell the house?

Asked by Heidi, Verona, PA Fri Feb 17, 2012

The porch had electric, but was open. We put built a wood floor over the broken concrete and added walls and cheap windows.

Help the community by answering this question:


You can also go to http://appraisersforum.com/ to learn more. I would talk to your agent and get a hold of their lender to get solid answers. I'm sure Karen knows lenders in that area and can help you. I would use a loan broker or popular direct lender that uses multiple investors. Avoid the banks!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 18, 2012
something I would have to see.Let me know if you would like me to come over at no obligation just to give you my opinion
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 18, 2012
From the lending standpoint there is a lot of different answers depending on the type of loan the buyer is using, FHA, USDA, Conventional, VA, bond programs, portfolio, etc. "In General" the appraiser won't count the additional area in the appraisal for value and it needs to look like part of the house and done in a workmanship type manner to get cleared by appraiser. Many counties want the permit because they feel you skipped out on paying the county taxes due them. lender want it because if the addition causes a law suit for any reason you could involve the lender in law suite claiming they should have cought it.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 17, 2012
Heidi not sure if you are in Penn Hills part of Verona or Oakmont side of Verona.There will be a Occupancy inspection done.I dont think they will say anything but you should always disclose.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 17, 2012
Heidi, sellers disclosures we use in Southeastern Pa, have this very topic on them. Don't know if your area does or not. You will need to check with a local agent whom you feel comfortable with. Also does you township, city, borough require a Use and Occupancy or Certificate of Occupancy. In other words does the municipality you live in require an inspection and written certificate for you to sell your property? In Chester County PA. where I live the majority of municipalities do not require this inspection or certificate.

Yes above all like Benny said disclose to everyone about the rear porch. Then it will be up to them if they want to purchase or not. When in doubt always disclose. Better to be safe than very sorry later. Verify everything that is discussed in this forum with professional reputable/qualified people. It will save you in the long run.

Best of luck to you,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 17, 2012
Lets disclose to the buyers the enclosed porch was enclosed without a permit. They can deside not to buy or just go on. I can't say much more without looking at just what you are talking about. In most cases in our area this is not a real problem. Send some photos and I can tell you more if it maters or not.
Benny Smith, benny@buyahomenow.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 17, 2012
Check with your local building's department for any necessary permits; keep in mind that if your potential buyer purchases with a mortgage the lender may not lend....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 17, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer