Home Selling in Phoenix>Question Details

Kathy, Home Buyer in Phoenix, AZ

we are remodeling an old tract home where washer and dryer were in kitchen. We are thinking of moving them to garage. is this worth the expense?

Asked by Kathy, Phoenix, AZ Sat Jan 26, 2013

all the houses in this 1963 subdivision were built with washer and dryer in kitchen. Is this a big turn off to buyers today? We would have to install plumbing and sewer drain to move them to the converted 1 car garage/room.
will this increase resell value or just make the house easier to sell?

Answers

12
A lot of buyers in places like Phoenix might prefer the washer and dryer to stay in the kitchen (an air-conditioned space) rather than having it in the garage (which is rearely air-conditioned). YOu need to look at the total floor plan and figure out what options you have, what each will cost, and if you are improving the overall function of the home.
You need to consider what utilities need to be relocated.... Electricity (120V & 240V circuits), gas, exhaust vent(s), plumbing (supply & DWV). Get at least 3 contractors estimates and advice. Slab foundations will probably cost $$, especially if you have a post tension slab.
I think it depends on the floor plan. It sounds like it is a tiny house anyway.. can you do a stack in a large cabinet of dry walled pantry type location? I have sold a million dollar home with laundry in the kitchen.. but I don't like it.
If they are in the garage you might keep a buyer that thinks it is "more" normal.
Best of luck,
Brad
An appraiser would be able to tell you if these sorts of changes will increase the value of the home. As a general statement, homes that show well and are aesthetically pleasing to buyers will typically sell for more than homes that have an unfamiliar layout.
Laundry in the kitchen is usually a turn off for buyers. Having said that, some people say that the laundry is in the kitchen even when they are in a small laundry room attached to the kitchen or behind doors. If they are not in a visible place I would not move them. If they are right there for everyone to see I would consider moving them.

If they are in the kitchen, one alternative is to remove the washer and dryer and leave only the hook ups. It will probably be less of a turn off that way.

Jose Dias, REALTOR
(623) 418-5700
Jose@MyFirstHouseAZ.com
http://www.MyFirstHouseAZ.com
Kathy,

Are the washer/dryer under the kitchen counter, or off the kitchen in a separate laundry room? If the latter, I would suggest leaving it. If the former, then I would recommend moving them.
Hi Kathy,
It is a good idea to talk to some Real Estate Agents about what would make sense for your needs, several agents including myself will talk to you without pressuring, we want you to make the right decision that will help not only you but the next owner of that home. Sometimes it makes sense to move it and sometimes it just doesn't. One question to ask the agents is how much more can you expect to receive if you moved the Washer/Dryer and compare that to the cost of actually moving. The answer will become very clear at that point.
Hi Kathy

If the houses in the subdivision all have the washer/dryer in kitchen, the homes are selling; it’s not worth spending the money to convert it to the garage – spend it somewhere else. But if you can find comps in the subdivision, similar, or nearby that do have the washer/dryer in the garage selling for more than it’s worth spending the money.

As an investor your goal is to spend a buck and get a buck fifty or two back or even slightly more than a buck back. Every market is different and in certain price ranges it’s not worth going all out, moving walls, and converting features.

I would advise you speak to an agent or have a few come out and give you real market data. Hopefully this helps and would love to check out the home sometime and be your go to realtor if you don’t already have one.

Juan Pesqueira
American Associates Real Estate
Homes | Condos | Investments
Spanish and English speaking Realtor
Realtor, Appraiser
8930 E. Raintree Drive Suite 200
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Office 480-458-8007 | Fax 480.767.7200
email: pesqueira2@cox.net
Websites:
TEMPE REALTY CO. http://www.TempeHomesCondos.Com
LAVISH PAD BOUTIQUE – http://AZLuxuryHomeBlog.Com
TEMPE REAL ESTATE BLOG - http://TempeRealEstateBlog.wordpress.com

Yes Dreams Come True, Let me Show You!
Kathy,

If you are not already aligned to a realtor that would be your go to person, I would recommend you contact a couple realtors to assess the situation and check the MLS and see what other sellers in the neighborhood have done with their remodeling.

The trick is not to cost more than the value for the area. There are a lot of properties in Chandler and even at the point that have the laundry room as part of the kitchen due to space restraints. The big question is what does the buyer want and that's a subjective question.

If you would like I'd be happy to give you information to help you make the best decision for you and your family.

Let me know.

Debbie Nieman
Keller Williams Sonoran Living
602-799-5239
diverdebi@cox.net

http://www.diverdebi.com
http://www.diverdebirealty.com
I have done that several times with remodels. You will have to install new plumbing and waste line , unless there is a 2" line in the old carport. Probably not since the original w/d was in the kitchen. It does not have to be the 3" line that is the sewer though...but it needs to connect to it. You will achieve both goals...easier to sell and increase value!
Brad Taylor
DPR Realty
I would recommend you have a Realtor come out and look at the house to see if it is worth the time and money to invest in that. I would be happy to visit the home and give you my recommendations. Thank you and good luck!
The only thing I hate more than having the Laundry in the Garage; is having the Laudry in the Kitchen!
Imagine; that is the NORM in Europe.

Yes, it would worth the $$ and effort. Go for it!