Bernadette, Both Buyer and Seller in Maryland

terminate listing agent? change listing agent? how to process?

Asked by Bernadette, Maryland Fri Sep 21, 2012

Please advice how to go about terminating current listing agent and select another agent? Current agent is nice, but is not very experienced in the area, and as a listing agent. thank you

Answers

15
I tell all my Sellers....if at anytime you are not happy with my services, please contact me and we can discuss the situation, your needs, etc. If you are still not happy, we simply sign an agreement and the listing is removed immediately. I would rather maintain a friendship with a client for life!!

Communication is the key.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 21, 2012
Hi Bernadette, speak to your agent about the terms of the contract and how to terminate the contract.
Bernadette,

By law, all listing agreements must have an expiration date. If you would like to terminate the agreement prior to the expiration date, there will be a clause in the agreement which states the terms in which you can terminate the listing agreement.

Hope this helps!

Shelley Green
The Banner Team
Long & Foster Realtors
Shelley.Green@longandfoster.com
240-401-5875
I concur with the others. Review your listing agreement, but you should be able to give written notice that you want to terminate the listing agreement. If you are looking for a new listing agent, I would be happy to talk to you about my market plan and what I can do to help you sell your property quickly and for the best price.

I hope that helps. If you have more questions, email me at ellyn.pollack@gmail.com. I am an Associate Broker with RE/MAX Town Center (licensed in MD, DC, and VA)
When in doubt, the answer always lies in the contract. In this case, your listing agreement. I would sit down with your agent first though and discuss your concerns.
Bernadette, my office is located in Potomac Village. If you are able to get out of your listing agreement feel free to give me a call @ 240-355-5487.
Hi Bernadette,

Since realtors are self-employed, a buyer or seller can terminate at any time with written notice. The broker will then sign a release form on your behalf.

Christine
http://www.christinesherrod.com
Hi Bernadette,
If your listing agreement is a GCAAR form you can terminate before the expiration date with a mutual written agreement by both parties. I'm sure that the agent would appreciate a personal phone call to advise of your decision. Good luck to you.
Bernadette,
It sounds like you have already been given some good advise and hopefully your concerns have already been addressed. One point that is often overlooked is that you listing agreement is between you and the Broker, not the agent. Usually the manager is the supervising Broker for an office and would be the appropriate person to talk to.
I would think that if the Broker assigns one of their top listing agents to your listing you should receive the level of service and expertise that you expect. You should also be familiar with the listing agreement's expiration date as that would be a more appropriate time to interview other agents.
Best of Luck!
Hi Bernadette, my first advice is to sit down with your agent - if you haven't already done so - and communicate your concerns. Perhaps a heart-to-heart can better the situation.. If not, then you'll have to look at your listing agreement and find the expiration date as well as any provision about terminating the agreement.

If you still have a long time left, I would follow the advice given before me and contact the broker .. he/she can assign a different agent or perhaps have someone more experienced partner with your agent.

Nobody wants to have an unhappy client ... many times a good conversation can resolve issues and turn things around.

If your expiration date is near then you are certainly free to research other agents/companies and re-list with someone else.
I agree with the other answers- except with 1 exception- ou need to have an agent that is a member of the Luxury Homes Marketing Institute list your home!! They are innovative, creative and think outside the box agents that will get your house SOLD in no time. Call or email me and I would be happy to give you the name of someone that will do just that! I am a member but I do not service Montgomery County- I do know an outstandsing agent that does- my email is khutchins@realtor.com and my phone is 301-785-1995. You will be glad you made the call!!!
Hi Bernadette,

My suggestion to you is to take a look at your listing agreement (Section 4) of the Maryland Exclusive Right to Sell Agreement and see if there is a clause that allows you the option to terminate the agreement upon written notification. If this is there, simply write a letter or send an email to the Broker terminating their services. If that clause is not there you can still contact the Broker directly and express your concerns and intentions to cancel the agreement. My experience as a former Owner/Manager of a major real estate franchise always encouraged the Agent to give the Seller the option to terminate - yes they will lose the business however, it's better to part ways amicably then to have a disgruntled client.
I live and work in 20854. I imagine that you have a listing agreement with the real estate agent that you are working with, which probably states that you are committed to a certain time period with that agent.
I recommend talking to the Broker/ Manager and working something out. Many agents will let sellers out of the agreement if they are not happy, but not all agents will comply.
Hi Bernadette,

If you have a binding contract for the listing of your home you will need to honor that unless the agent or Broker provide you with a release. It is so important to choose the right agent to market your home and present it at its best. Call the Broker or Office Manager and share your concerns. They may be able to provide you with another agent from the same office.
It is a shame you didn't do more research prior to hiring an agent. At this point I recommend you contact the agents broker and let them work it out internally - they most likely will assign your listing to another agent in the office that has more experience.