Home Selling in Raleigh>Question Details

Kapoll, Home Seller in Raleigh, NC

septic permit for 3 bedroom, house has 4. How do you market this?

Asked by Kapoll, Raleigh, NC Sat Mar 31, 2012

Answers

10
JSB’s answer
also note that sometimes the septic permits are wrong! Ours was - we have a 4 bedroom house and the septic was sized appropriately - but the permit was set up wrong! We just had to speak with enviromental services and have a quick inspection by one of their guys and they corrected the permit!
Hi Kapoll, there are just two choices, beef up the septic and permits for four bedroom, or market the 3 BR with Office and closet as it is.
Seems pretty cut and dried. Jim, American Bank.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150668…
From the NC Real estate Commission.

Kapoll,
If you were the Buyer, how would you think this three bedroom home should be represented to give you an honest picture?
.
.
Unfortunately, you must market the home as having 3 bedrooms with a den or office or spare room. If there is additional space in your yard to extend the lines in the septic field you may be able to get permission to extend and get permitted for the additional bedroom.
The way i interpret the nc commission rules is that you cannot "sell" a home as a 4 bedroom if it is only permitted for a 3 bedroom. However, the law does not heavily dictate how you "market" the home. You will be cutting out alot of buyers if you market as 3 bedrooms. I would market as 4 bedroom and put agent notes regarding the permit issue. Before you go to contract, have a disclosure drafted that fully discloses the permit issue and have the buyer sign. I would also have the remedy to get the property correctly permitted available for future buyers. Hope this helps!

If you are interviewing agents to sell your property, we would love an opportunity to meet with you!

Jimmy Conder
919.896.7131
Web Reference: http://www.ConderRealty.com
You would market the home based on the bedrooms it is permited for. I would make sure you have the septic information from the Health Dept.
Michael
You're way ahead of most for even asking this question! One thing that a couple of my clients have done was to look into having an additional line put in to bring the permit to 4. Depending on the cost it may or may not be feasible for you. I'd get a good handle on your homes market value and whether selling as a 3 or 4 bedroom is going to change the cash in your pocket...
One way to market it is to put it out there as a 3 bedroom home. So, everyone who is looking for a four bedroom home will put a four in their search field and miss your home. Or, you can carefully put a 4 in the bedroom column and then disclose the permit issue properly. That disclosure is what takes talent, and that is why my background as an attorney separates me from the other Realtors. If you want to find out how, go to my website below and send me a message.
You can only market the home as a 3 bedroom home. The septic permit for a 3 bedroom home is all that matters when determining bedrooms per the NC Real Estate Commission. Period. You have to market the 4th room as a bonus, office or some other type of room. I would market it as a bonus room with a closet. Hope this helps.
It can only be marketed as a 3 bedroom as long as the septic permit is for only 3 bedrooms. If at sometime that was upgraded or connected to community or city sewer it could then be marketed as a 4 bedroom. Do you have a home to sell? If so I would be happy to discuss the marketing your home in this situation.