Chubbolo, Home Seller in 94110

selling duplex as single family home in san francisco

Asked by Chubbolo, 94110 Sun Feb 5, 2012

san francisco 94110. what are liabilities in selling a 2 unit, 2 level building as an unwarranted duplex conversion to a single family home? each floor is 1000sf. some of the work would be permitted (upper level bathroom, and lower level kitchen remodels) and some would be unpermitted (connection of the two levels by partial removal of wall at base of stair, and removal of upper kitchen and lower bathroom and capping the utilities). if an eventual purchaser would like to continue living in the property as a sfh with two addresses, what liabilities would they be inheriting? would there be a red flag when the appraiser noted that the lack of second kitchen, etc? would the bank be unwilling to grant a loan due to the illegal conversion? would it be more prudent to convert back to duplex (replacing wall, adding upper kitchen and lower bathroom) before placing on the market? thank you!

Answers

4
It's not easy to get permission from the city to legally turn a two-unit building into a single-family home. Your best bet is to sell the property as a two-unit building, but market it so that potential buyers can see the possibilities for using the building as a house.

Depending on your financial situation and patience level, you can pursue a conversion to a single-family house. But I would probably only recommend this if you were going to do so for your own purposes. There is nothing to guarantee that you will net more money from selling the building as a house vs two units.

A buyer will need to see a 3BR/building permit history that classifies the property as whichever type of dwelling you are selling. So you can really only sell a building as a single-family home if the 3R classifies it as such.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 20, 2012
I can tell you who and what firm you should stay far and clear from as they act above the law selling a 2 unit - but it was more a SFR and they are going to use this as some sort of strategy to diminish the homes value - Im Not saying that it does or doesn't - but what I know is without question they will take the position on weather it serves their interest and not - and the agent in that area is known for being less than honorable. I can tell you first hand that is a 400K understatement! I give trulia permission to give you my contact info if you need any more info.
you/ll need more than a Van ful of Guards to help you!
did you ever get a straight answer to this? I have a similar issue and am wondering about the resale value and appraisal/loan issues. thanks.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 28, 2012
Before selling your duplex as a single family home, make sure it makes sense to do so for your neighborhood by running some numbers. Investigate the zoning http://(www.sfplanning.org) as well as building permits. Then engage a contractor to provide you an estimate of what you have in mind. A good contractor will alert you also about permit issues.

These are some first steps. Feel free to call me at 415-200-7202.
Web Reference: http://www.sfdbi.org/