Karen Ann, Both Buyer and Seller in Downers Grove, IL

please send tips on how to sell my house. I have already heard declutter, depersonalize, price it right....

Asked by Karen Ann, Downers Grove, IL Mon Apr 13, 2009

Answers

10
Laura Karambelas’ answer
I agree with Dan, price is definitely #1. I provide my sellers with market updates every week. What homes have gone under contract since yours has gone on the market? How did they compare to yours? How does your home compare to all the competition? You may need to make a price adjustment.

Are your pictures updated? If your home has been on the market for a while make sure your exterior photos don't have snow in them.

Try going in Google and pulling up your address? How many internet sites is your home listed on? Is your home easy to find? With 87% of buyers beginning their home search on the internet, this is critical.

What is your feedback from your showings? If there were any negative comments have you been able to correct the items?

These are a few of tips I provide to my sellers. I hope this information helps & good luck!

Have you had your home information sent via e-blasts to local agents?
So many ways to answer this question and many have noted some great comments, but some of the basics are what you know, as well as making the house C L E A N. Not only decluttered and neat, but clean. There should ONLY be a clean smell in the house. Do not use sprays and plug ins, but thoroughly clean the house, webs from vents, etc. Many people do not see beyond the dirt, when viewing a home. The house should not smell like Lysol, but a fresh smell will make all the difference in the world. ALL lights should be on when an agent enters the home. It is easier or them to turn off the lights (if switches in easy locations to find) , then to look around for switches and buyer enters house without lights on....little things make a difference. Put jewelry, knives, meds away. Question buyers or realtors before you make appointment, so you know who is entering your home. As a realtor, we can already verify if it is truly an agent calling. Be careful.
Are you trying to sell your home as a FSBO? Are you working with Realtor who is your listing agent should be providing you guidance.

If you do a FSBO you can be sued NOT following state law sell any property whether residential OR commercial.

FSBO - why ask a Realtor for tips and tricks when that is our profession ! Craft we have perfected

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
My opinion of the best way to help you sell your house? Talk with and work with a local Realtor. I know, you think it will "cost too much". However, I dont have those same thoughts and a good Realtor will save you money, help you sell your property faster, try and get you market value and help you navagate the purchase contract and various other legal paperwork. For example, should you as the seller pay for the buyers apprasial? Who should pay for title? And the list goes on and on. I would not go to court without an attorney, even though I could represent myself, cause in the end, I am sure paying an attorney will net me better results.

I wish you the best of luck.
Pricing, pricing, pricing!!! It's the sequel to location, location, location. Currently, the homes that are selling are the ones the buyers see a the best deal or value. So if your location, condition, size, etc. are already fine, a price adjustment will stimulate a buyer faster than anything, provided it puts you in an enticing position. Will all of the foreclosures and short sales coming on the market soon (the shadow inventory), you'd really want to be under contract before those new homes put you in a less than desirable position to compete.
You are correct - all of the things you mentioned need to be considered. It's not just location, location, location. It's location, condition, price. The $8,000 tax credit has brought out many first time buyers. You might want to get your home on the market for summer - before the tax credit expires December 1st. Be open to FHA loans-many buyers also need closing cost assistance. The #1 tip would be to price to sell. A well priced home that is clean, neat, and in good repair will sell. First impressions are important especially with so many buyers starting their search on the internet. I use a professional photographer for all my listings to capture those buyer's interest. Make sure you are on as many internet sites as possible. Use an agent who knows the area and can give you appropriate comparables. Homes are still selling! Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.maryvolk.com
Karen Ann:

The many suggestions you have received here are all very good. Staging, inside the home and outside for curb appeal and positive first impressions, are extremely important. The correct pricing of your home is absolutely crucial, as well.

In this present market especially, I would definitely and strongly suggest that you work with a realtor and not try to sell your home yourself. The expertise and knowledge that they bring to your transaction, coupled with the strength of the Multiple Listing Service, will bring you the quickest and most profitable sale possible. All extremely important while navigating a real estate transaction during this more challenging market.

As a lender, I would also suggest that you have a marketing sales sheet within your home during your showings, one that has multiple lending scenarios listed upon it. That way new buyers have concrete ideas and answers to their question, "can I afford this home"? Most of your new buyers will be pre-qualified prior to their viewing, but for those coming through in an Open House situation or prior to pre-qualification this is especially helpful. Again, as a lender I make these available to my customers and realtors free of charge and would be happy to help you in the same manner. Other lenders might offer such a service as well.

Additionally, I always offer to attend any Open House hosted by my customers (should they choose the FSBO route) or realtors. An on-site lender can capture and expedite your sale. Home buyers are never more enthusiastic or eager to enter a transaction than when they first see your home and fall in love with it. Having some valuable and timely lending information available can be very beneficial.

I have a great flyer with information regarding some helpful staging tips on my website at: http://www.genemundt.com. Please feel free to view and print it and other information for yourself. I hope that it, and the information I provided above, proves beneficial to your upcoming sale.

If you are in need of a referral for a professional real estate salesperson in your area, have other questions, or if I can be of any assistance to you when now or when you move on to your next home, please contact me at any time. I would be happy to assist in whatever manner I can.

Best of Luck to you in your future!

Gene Mundt, Professional Mortgage Banker http://www.genemundt.com
gene@chicagobancorp.com http://www.genemundtmortgageblog.com
Web Reference: http://www.genemundt.com
Have you considered the terms of the sale? I agree with the others that correct pricing is essential but if you are flexible on the terms, it could help separate you from the rest of the pack. Maybe you could offer to pay some or all of the closing costs. How about offering a 1 year Home owners warranty? They are really affordable and can give a potential buyer great peace of mind.
part of that decluttering is counter space. you want to show it off in the kitchen. leave things you use...like coffee maker but put away things that you don't....like bread maker, toaster, indoor grill, oversized spice rack, etc. Pull them out and use them as needed.

take anything that you have off the fridge. it's okay to leave a few items but again part of decluttering.

clean closets. show off how much closet space you have. to help wrap your head around the work just think how organized you'll be when it is time to actually move.

don't take on any big projects like redoing bathroom, kitchen, new floors, etc. Just price it right. Interior and exterior paint are sometimes necessary but get multiple bids to keep cost down. I like to call it Relocation Beige as far as a paint color. Stay in the neutral earth tone family.

if you have older carpet you could get steam cleaned. Not too expensive but can go a long way.

Most important.....ask a few agents over to help (wink, wink.) The last few years staging has become such an important part of the process. A good agent will show you what to do without hurting your feelings. The one thing seller and agent have it common is wanting to get your home sold quickly and for the most amount of money.

Good luck!! Let me know if I can help.
1.Pricing your home to SELL!!!
This is the #1 most important thing you can do to sell your house for top dollar and with the least inconvenience to you and in the shortest amount of time. lots of agent talk about this practice and some even come close but few do it right. My market analysis and marketing skills will create demand for your home and develop multiple offers for you to pick and choose which deal is best for you.
2.First Impressions Count!!!
A well-manicured lawn, neatly trimmed shrubs and a clutter-free porch welcome prospects. So does a freshly painted – or at least freshly scrubbed – front door. If it’s autumn, rake the leaves. If it’s winter, shovel the walkways. The fewer obstacles between prospects and the true appeal of your home, the better.
3.Clean Up And Start Packing
Here’s your chance to clean up in real estate. Clean up everything you can, the living room, the bathroom, kitchen and the basement. Your going to move... sooo...start packing.... the small items like family photos and personal things on the shelves, counter tops and frig. can make your home feel small and cluttered
4.Check Faucets and Bulbs
Dripping water rattles the nerves, discolors sinks, and suggests faulty or worn-out plumbing. Burned out bulbs or faulty wiring leave prospects in the dark. Don’t let little problems detract from what’s right with your home.
5.Think Safety
Homeowners learn to live with all kinds of self-set booby traps: roller skates on the stairs, unfasten extension cords, slippery throw rugs and low hanging overhead lights. Make your residence as non-perilous as possible for unaware visitors.
6.Make Room for Space
Remember, potential buyers are looking for more than just comfortable living space. They’re looking for storage space, too. Make sure your attic and basement are clean and free of unnecessary items.
7.Consider Your Closets
The better organized a closet, the larger it appears. Now’s the time to box up those unwanted clothes and donate them to charity.
8.Make Your Bathroom Sparkle
Bathrooms sell homes, so let them shine. Check and repair damaged or unsightly caulking in the tubs and showers. For added allure, display your best towels, mats, and shower curtains.
9.Create Dream Bedrooms
Wake up prospects to the cozy comforts of your bedrooms. For a spacious look, get rid of excess furniture and personal items. Colorful bedspreads, clean blinds, windows and fresh curtains can help.
10.Open up in the Daytime
Let the sun shine in! Pull back your curtains and drapes so prospects can see how bright and cheery your home is.
11.Think atmosphere
Turn on the excitement by turning on all your lights - both inside and outside - when showing your home in the evening and during the day. Lights add color and warmth, and make prospects feel welcome.
12.Always try to be away during a showing
Potential buyers often feel like intruders when they enter a home filled with people. Rather than giving your house the attention it deserves, they're likely to hurry through. Always try to be away so potential buyers can make comments and take their time.
13.Cage Your Pets
Dogs and cats are great companions, but not when you're showing your home. Pets have a talent for getting underfoot and some folks are simply terrified of animals. Keep Kitty and Spot caged during a showing, or at least out of the way.
14.Don’t Shut Out a Sale
If doors, cabinets or closet doors stick in your home, you can be sure they will also stick in a prospect’s mind. Don’t try to explain away sticky situations when you can easily plan them away. A little effort on your part, can smooth the way toward a closing.
15.Relax
If you are home, be friendly, don't try to force conversation. Prospects want to view your home with minimal distraction.
16.Don't Apologize
No matter how humble your abode, NEVER apologize for its shortcomings. If a prospect volunteers a derogatory comment about your home's appearance, let it go....if it bothers you, talk to ME. Again, it is always best to be away during a showing.
17.Keep a Low Profile
Nobody knows your home as well as you do. But most agents know their buyers - what they need and what they want. Go for a ride or walk when your home is being shown and when ever possible take spot and kitty with you.
18.Don't Turn Your Home into a Second-Hand Store
When prospects come to view your home, don't distract them with offers to sell those furnishings you no longer need. You may lose the biggest sale of all. Be sure you bring to my attention everything you want to leave or sell with your home, and items that you want to take with you.
19.Defer to Experience
When prospects want to talk price, terms, or other real estate matters, let them speak to an expert.
20.Help Me...Help You....
Again...lets work together as a team. follow these 20 steps and we will have an easier time selling your home in a reasonable amounnt of time.

Dan
Web Reference: http://www.danfirks.com