Home Selling in Los Angeles>Question Details

ashley, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

owner decides to sell the house 2 months after I moved in..

Asked by ashley, Los Angeles, CA Wed Mar 6, 2013

I moved in this house November 1st after signing a 1 year lease agreement, two months later I receive an email saying that the owner wants to sell the house and the day after they did the first showing. Since then it has been non stop people in and out of the house. I work from home and have a dog which means I have to leave the house every time they come. They even came 2 times on Sundays and last week stayed 2 hours with 5 or 6 people for an inspection while I was working and left the house with dirt everywhere knowing the cleaning lady was there the day before. Now they ask me to leave the house for an hour on a week day to do an appraisal. What can I do? can I ask a discount for the disturbance? I told them I was looking for a long term place since I moved my office in the house, etc. Now I don't know what's going to happen if I will have to move out or not.. I stopped furnishing the house and I live in a half empty house I might be kicked out of.. Need advices.. THKS

Answers

2
OK........now.................you said you signed a 1 year lease.

You need to read your lease!

Your lease should address when and how the house can be shown in the event the landlord needs to find a new tenant, if you don't renew the lease, or wants to sell the home.... in the future, towards the end of the current lease.

The key is...IN THE FUTURE....NOT several months after you, the tenant, first moved in.

I can't imagine a lease, unless you wrote it on a cocktail napkin, that wouldn't deal with this issue in detail................there is no reason why you should be inconvenienced and have people in and out of the home, after only 4 months in the house.

That is just not accetpable!
If you need to, call a real estate attorney to reconfirm what your rights are.

Did you use an agent when you leased this home?

Here, in NJ, for what it is worth......the landlord can usually start showing the home during "reasonable" hours, 60 days prior to the termination of the lease.
No way would what you're going through be tolerated by a tenant here.

Chedk your lease and verify what your rights are!
It sounds like you are being disturbed and inconvenienced by so many viewings and inspections. You might be able to break to lease in this case, and find another property that meets your needs.This might solve your problem the fastest.

I do recommendation is that you learn about your rights as a tenant. The web address for that is
http://www.dca.ca.gov. It is important that you are aware of your rights. I would also look at your lease contract, so see what you agreed to in the lease. IF you are still not sure, you can always talk to an attorney.