Home Selling in West Mifflin>Question Details

Katyxxxx, Home Seller in West Mifflin, PA

my son and wife just recently separated and the wife is setting up an apointment with the realtor for a short sale, they only owned the home 4 years,

Asked by Katyxxxx, West Mifflin, PA Tue Jul 19, 2011

unfortunately I don't trust the wife, and would like any help on what we should not do to protect my son
thank you for any information that you can give me

Answers

4
Luther Wormack’s answer
Hi Katy,

You can see from the responses that a short sale does require a little more knowledge than the average transaction. We as parents can only do so much for our children. It's really up to your son to be engaged in the process. So encourage him to make sure it's handled by a professional full time agent. Plus I'd recommend interviewing more than one to get a understanding of exactly what it's going to take to get the job done.

I do service the area and would be happy to give my perspective on the market value and see what the likely hood of a short sale would be for this property. Hope this helps!
If they're going to do a short sale, please have one of them call me. It's a complicated process, but it is usually in the seller's best interest.

Eli Givoni, Director
Short Sale Department, LLC
561-361-1909
info@shortsaledept.com
http://www.shortsaledepartment.com
Serving all 50 states

MARS Disclosure for General Commercial Communications
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
Short Sale Department, LLC is not associated with the government, and our service is not approved by the government or your lender. Even if you accept this offer and use our service, your lender may not agree to change your loan. If you stop paying your mortgage, you could lose your home and damage your credit.
4 years?
Are you sure they are Upside/Down?
I can give you some guides, if they are upside-down, but if they are even close, they should avoid a Shortsale if they can. There are alternatives: Even if the divorce is acrimonious, the consequences of the SS are severe and long-reaching:

Upside ~ Down

We get a lot of questions about Homeowners being Upside-Down on their house.
I will try to cover the field on this topic:
1.) Just being Upside-Down is not sufficient reason for the Bank to do anything for you:
2.) The Bank did not create the Recession and the bank has it’s own problems.
3.) For some RELIEF, you need a dire Financial Hardship to exist; such as you lost your job, or you had a Medical Catastrophe.
4.) If you want to do a Shortsale, you will have to prove to the Bank that they must help you, now or later. Most Banks will not even talk to you if you are CURRENT; so you will have to go past the Point-of-no-Return before they will do anything.
5.) The first step would be to find a Realtor, well versed in Shortsales, who will help you.
6.) This is not as simple as it sounds; many Agents have “sworn off shortsales” because of what is involved in them.
7.) It will make a very big difference if you have ONE LOAN as opposed to having a SECOND. The chances of succeeding in your Shortsale are greatly reduced by having a SECOND loan.
8.) You will have to sit down and compose a letter to your Lender; telling them exactly why you have a hardship and what you plan to do. It is my experience that you have to do this, personally; your Realtor cannot do it, and your Attorney cannot do it for you. You should be OPEN and HONEST, don’t try to B.S: This is about the only thing in the whole process that is PERSONAL. (If you really want to be PERSONAL, do it on a lined pad in your own LEGIBLE handwriting or printing.)
9.) If successful, you now can say (in the Listing) that your Shortsale is pre-approved by your bank.
10.) Now, you can List the house with your Realtor and the MLS. Your Realtor will do a CMA, (Comparative Market Analysis) to determine the Listing Price. The Bank may order a BPO, (Broker Price Opinion) to determine the Listing Price. In many cases, you will be on your own; the Bank will not communicate with you.
11.) If you get an Offer, you will probably “rubber stamp” it and your Realtor will forward it to the Bank.
12.) There is no set time for the Bank to respond; we have heard of three weeks, and we have heard of a year or more. This is not fair, not reasonable, and in fact, it is rude and ridiculous. But it is a fact; so do not get impatient or upset with your Realtor, it is not their fault and they have no control over it. They will gently try to push it along, calling every week or two; but they understand that the person who has that file on their desk, probably has 100 to 300 other files, (they could accidently take a file and move it to the bottom of the pile; things like that have been know to happen.)
13.) You must understand that the Bank is there to make money; they are not a social service organization. It is possible that they believe that they might be able to make more money by letting the property go through Foreclosure. Or, they might believe that next year (or six months from now) the Market will be stronger and they can either COUNTER your offer, or, let it go through Foreclosure.
14.) Now, it is seven months later, and you get a Letter of Acceptance from the Bank: It will probably delineate the terms that they deem acceptable: For example; it may say that the Escrow is to be 45 days, that XYZ is going to be the Title Company, that they are not going to pay for any Inspections, that they will pay a maximum of [$750] for Schedule A(1) repairs due to Pest Inspection, and that if you are not ready to close on time, you will be charged [$50] per day for each and every day.
15.) If you are still in the game, your Buyers will do their Inspections, and set up their Loan. The Bank will order the Appraisal.
16.) Follow your Realtor’s guide and in 45 days, you will be moving.
17.) That would cover a SHORTSALE: But what about a Foreclosure; that would be a separate topic.
18.) You’re not out of the woods yet. If the Bank accepted [$100,000] less than the amount of the loan, they might come after you with a Deficiency Judgment. The list of Non-Recourse States is changing fast. Please consult an Attorney at this point; I am not equipped to answer Legal Questions. But,
19.) I will say that it looks like Deficiency Judgments are like an ice berg sitting out there, waiting for your ship to come along. You need to do your Diligence.

Good luck and may God bless
I would consult an attorney, but I'm unclear as to how the short-sale of the home would affect your son (although obviously the trama of a divorce and move will be hard on him). Counseling may also be appropriate.

The short sale will have to be approved by the bank and your wife will be selling the home for less than what her current mortgage is so she will walk-away with nothing in most cases. She may also have trouble renting because her credit will be affected, but I'm seeing many landlords overlook a short-sale and foreclosure these days.

I wish you all the best.