Home Selling in 33157>Question Details

Coli, Home Seller in 33157

my husband and i are moving out of state,he never miss the mortgage but we own more than what the house is worth.what are our options. coli.

Asked by Coli, 33157 Tue Feb 7, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


Coli, I would suggest contacting a real estate agent who works in the area and also has experience in short sales. Ask them to sit with you and your husband and discuss the specifics of your situation. They can give you an idea of what you could ask for rental and you could see if it would cover your expenses. It's not always wise to try to be a landlord when you are living in a different state. The agent will also be able to explain the way a short sale works. This is all a preliminary step as you would need to get legal/accounting advice. Once you have been educated in the process you will be better able to make a decision on what is best for you.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance. My partner and I work in this area and have experience in closing short sales. He is also fluent in Spanish.

Marie J. Montgomery, PA
Broker Associate
EWM Realtors
12751 S. Dixie Hwy
Pinecrest, FL 33156
Direct: 305-216-4142
Email: Montgomery.M@ewm.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 7, 2012
Dan's probably right. Rent it out. There is a thriving rental market in your area right now, and if you've managed this long it really doesn't make much sense to let it go into foreclosure now. If you contact me, I can look up the comparable rentals and give you a basis for making your decision. Every time the lease comes up for renewal, you can determine whether it makes sense to continue to act as landlord or to sell if the market has recovered.

Yes, your other option is a short sale, but if you can cover your expenses, and not take the hit to your credit, best to avoid it. It becomes a much harder choice if you can't cover your expenses.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 7, 2012
In a nutshell you can rent it out and hope the market returns in the future, you can sell the home and write a check for any shortfall or you can list the home for sale as a short sale.
The short sale option carries with it several ramifications you need to be fully aware of. It will affect your credit, your capacity to obtain another mortgage in the near future and you may be financially responsible for some or all of the deficiency depending on the lender(s) involved.
If you pursue the short sale become fully informed, consult an attorney and only hire an experienced short sale agent. Someone who just took a class on short sales, but never closed one may not be your best choice.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 7, 2012
You should see if you qualify for a short sale, I work with a good team that can help you with that, call me at 305-3183178
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 1, 2013
Good Morning Coli,

As has already been suggested here, an option that you may have is to rent the home and see where the market goes as it relates to pricing. This is clearly not going to be an easy decision for you to make as the choice you make will have different affects on your life. Renting is a great option when you properply screen a tenant, but with that choice you then have to ensure you are receiving the monthly rental in order to cover the mortgage, insurance and property taxes. Keep in mind that the property taxes would go up, as this would no longer be your homestead property, which you will want to factor in your rental amount. As an absentee landlord you will want to also ensure that you have someone local that would be able to take care of any repairs or items that need to be taken care of for the tenant.

If your decision is to sell it as a short sale, I do agree with Dan in that you will want to work with an agent that has had actual experience in closing short sales. Working on short sales does take additonal time that a conventional sale does not and does require an agent that know how to work with the bank on getting all documentation in to them in the way that is requested. Not all short sales are the same, seller circumstances are different, lenders are different, this is where experience is vital to guide you through the process.

Before making the decision to short sale your home, you will want to consult an attorney as well as a tax advisor to know what possible issues you may have to deal with. You want to know upfront what you may have to deal with. Depending on the difference between what you owe and the current value of your home, you will want to analyse how long it would take to then be on the upside of value in relation to the current mortgage balance.

Good luck with your search for information. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions on this matter. I do work with accountants and real estate attorney's that can provide you with the information you will need to make your decision. I have been doing short sales for the past 4 years and have been sucessful in getting the transactions closed for my buyers and seller.

Lila Lopez
RE/MAX Advance Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 8, 2012
Coli, all you will need to do is a short sale. You do not have to be behind on my mortgage in order to accomplish this. Hire a local real estate agent that is certified in handling short sales. Let me know how it goes.

Ada Sanchez, CDPE
Pacific Atlantic Realty Services Inc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 8, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer