Carol, Home Seller in Hazlet, NJ

my house is comparably priced. others being sold. mine in move-in condition and it is not being shown much. why would that be?

Asked by Carol, Hazlet, NJ Sun Aug 12, 2012

Answers

15
Joan Congilose CRS,CDPE,GRI’s answer
Hi Carol
There are several things that you should review with your agent to assure your home is shown. I'd suggest you sit down with her and review the following : is it competitively priced based on the location and condition? If it is on a busier street than your neighbors homes that just sold it should be priced lower. Is it easy to show with a lockbox or is it by appointment only? Do you have a for sale sign on the property & where and how often is it being advertised? Is it showcased on the internet with multiple pictures? Have you had any open houses?If you have had 2 offers and have already refused both and they happen to be in the same price range perhaps that is where your home should realistically be priced to get it sold, just a thought.
Sorry Joan, not awake yet, I did mention the two low offers:) my mistake. The house pricing started out too high and we have had to drop quite few times to keep up with others dropping. there comes a point that dropping reaches it's limit and I am there. NOT when other homes have sold that are comps in the true sense and sold over what we were priced at. The traffic has been low and I really don't understand when so many homes sold in my town this past Spring when my house was listed as well and NOT getting traffic. Not selling to lowballers. They want stainless steel then install it as the house is lower than those which sold with stainless steel, If that is the only issue then it should not be an issue. Besides not everyone likes stainless steel:)
Flag Wed Aug 22, 2012
Hi Joan, apparently you know my home & realtor as you nailed the TWO OFFERS refused:) Not selling to lowballers when others which are total comparison have sold for more. Thanks, Carol
Flag Wed Aug 22, 2012
I would ask your realtor what the feedback from other agents showing the home or attending the Broker Open house has been. If there are no suggestions on improving anything, you may want to address reducing your asking price. Good luck!
Carol,

If your property still has not sold, I would be happy to put fresh eyes on it. An up to date market analysis and aggressive marketing may be just what you need.
Ouch, original post from Aug '12. Surely hope you have sold by now Carol, if not then I would surely say you have a pricing problem on your hands.

Cheers!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Web Reference: http://www.feenickhomes.com
Feedback from agents and their potential buyers would provide you valuable information. If you are getting no showings, or getting showing with no offers....a price adjustment may be necessary to spark more interest. Good luck!
hazlet is a great area, my office is in hazlet in a prime location and most of the homes I sell are in the hazlet area, so I do know the market...to tell you exactly why you are not getting the activity/offers you should be getting I really need more info...if you really want to know...call me and I will be more than happy to assist you...thanks...vinny 732-670-6565
Hi Carol,

Hard to answer without seeing your home and the comparables. Additional factors that can impact it is the street location: is the house in a quieter neighborhood or a busy street. This is especially important if it's a home more suited for children. Also the style of house can have an impact: a newer "development style" home can have difficulty competing with older homes percieved as having "more charm" if that's the neighborhood makeup. Or vice-versa - some folks don't want to deal with the maintenance of older homes when newer options are available. Does it have some curb appeal? I went to show a home this weekend with a client who saw the pictures and wanted to see the house. When we got there he didn't want to go in the house as there were other houses in the neighborhood that weren't well cared for, lots of clutter outside, etc. Just going around the block the neighborhood looked so different he wanted to see an available house around the corner. There's just so many variables.

Lynn Goldhammer
Prudential Zack Shore Properties
Asbury Park, NJ
908-433-0419
There must be something standing in your way - the first thing I would examine would be price. If you are priced right for what you are offering, exposure strong and access convenient, you should be getting traffic, repeat visitors and offers.

If you are not, then examine all of these things.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Carol,

Alot lot of good information given. With the limited details given on your specific house, it is difficult to zero in more precisely. Marketing, would be the most obvious generalization. Assuming that your house is priced right (based on comparables). Then the rest of the marketing must be analyzed.
1) where is it advertised? ( and where not )
2) who is it marketed to ( and who not )
3) if the price is right and the advertising locations right....can it be bought?
4) do the terms help sell it or hinder the possibilities?
Perceived value is all that will sell anything. So, if the perception is off or missing, it will sit.

One fact is certain, "Any house will sell immediately, with the right terms."

Hope this helps.
Thanks Dennis. What do you mean by terms?
Flag Sun Aug 12, 2012
Hi Carol,
Dont get frustrated. There are alot of factors that go into it. What month you listed,Where you location is, and what kind of differences do the other homes you find comparable have?(more baths ,garage,eatin kitchen these kinds of things. Also buyers in todays climate of the market feel a sence of power. You say you already had 2 low offers did they say why so low.
Open up the lines of communication better with your Realtor. I hope you get the answers you would like to hear.
To all who replied:)

Thank you for your insite:) the house is competively priced. The home is currently empty except for staging. We painted the entire house and re-finished all hardwood floors.

We have been lowering the price of the house each time the realtor says time to lower. Yet, we still don't get much traffic.

Other homes in the area, in fact one around the corner sold only a few months ago, I know the house, and it sold for 8k over our asking price.

I am beginning to wonder if it is our realtor. We received two offers which were total low balls and they were both from her realty.

Any thoughts?
Your Real Estate Broker should be able to answer this. Have you asked them?

http://www.naplesrealestateguys.com/
Carol,

Many questions to ask yourself. How are the showing instructions? Are they reasonable or is it difficult to show your property? What about pictures? Has your agent used a professional photographer or taken quality pictures to post on your local MLS and internet? If so, have you decluttered your home and "set the stage" for showings? Lastly, do you offer a competitive selling commission? Many agents won't bother to show a home with a sellling commission that is heavily discounted.

It is best to sit down with your agent immediately to discuss a strategy that includes his or her marketing plan that will get your home sold.

Best of luck!

Barbara Grandolfo
The homes that sold - were in the same condition as your's? Were they priced less? Sometimes homes that need work and are priced less sell quicker than homes that are in move-in condition and priced a bit higher because of their condition. These homes that sold - were they in the exact area and neighborhood? Is your home located near something that may turn buyers off, such as high tension wires, main road, commercial industry?

We never know why buyers buy some houses and not others but I would suggest you take a look at your pricing again because if these homes that sold, are less than yours, then the comps would change and you may have to reduce your price. Also, what kind of marketing is being done? Although pricing is key, it also takes more than just a sign in the ground to sell a home.
Carol,
That does seem to be a common question from home sellers.
Finding the right answer begins with the analysis completed by your agent regarding market activity in your area. Based on that data you would be able to project the activity level of your home.
Be aware, this is a multi-dimensional analysis.
-
Let's assume the data suggests there are 100 active buyers for homes like yours in your area. Based on the hierarchy of home search activity your home should have received a volume of activity that is a multiple of that number through effective marketing channels. Assuming this to be true (the marketing is effective)...the active buyers ARE seeing your home but have rejected the option to come to your address to see it. You may need to re-evaluate your value position.

The reality may be, based on historical data, your home IS receiving the appropriate activity. Consult your real estate professional regarding the marketing results. Perhaps patience is need or your situation has changed and you need to manipulate the timeline. Your agent will present you with the options available.

Agents of singular dimension will readily point out if you lower the price sufficiently, anything will sell. This approach may not be the best option for guarding your hard earned equity. Let the data speak for itself and don't even entertain the thought you will be able to sell your home in defiance of what the historical data reveals.

More data is needed.
Best of success to you,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group, Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us