Monika, Home Seller in Arizona

my family's house sold in november

Asked by Monika, Arizona Tue Feb 12, 2008

In addition to my original question, I am not the executor of the estate my great uncle is. Myself, sister & brother are receiving an inheritance from the sale of the house. From what the attorney told me, the house sold in November, was supposed to close in December but due to the holidays it was not going to close until the third week in January. Now she also told me that these investors paid by check, no down payment but for the full asking price of the house. It's now February, I understand that lawyers have other clients but this has been a long time coming since my father's passing (13 years). I am praying that this firm is not jerking my family around because somehow I get a bad feeling that maybe what the lawyer is saying is not true. After all, lawyers don't care about anything but getting paid.

Answers

4
Lawyers are professionals bounded by a code of ethics and goverened by the state bar. The law firm handling this matter should be able to provide some idea of time frame.
If you can't communicate with your attorneys, contact the local ABA(American Bar Association).
It appears that there is some sort of delay and I would advise you to write a letter to the attorney asking for the reasons for the delay.
We are real estate experts in the field of probate and trust real estate in California, and each state operates differently. It can take years for an estate to be closed and the monies from the estate to be distributed. I always feel that when communicating with attorneys it is best to do so in writing and then follow up with a call.

I hope this is helpful.

The Sanborn Team
Web Reference: http://www.SanbornTeam.com
Did you call the attorney to find out what is delaying the closing? I see you are from Arizona. It is difficult for folks outside of NY State to reconcile with how real estate is done here, but it is very cumbersome at best. In NY, there are 3 attorneys; the buyer's, the seller's and the banks (if there is a mortgage involved). They also cannot close unless there is a clear title to the property. Was there a Realtor involved in the sale on either side? perhaps you can contact one of them.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com