Home Selling in Asheville>Question Details

Aunt Sandee, Home Seller in Asheville, NC

my dinning room has brass lighting. Is it a deal breaker in selling my house? My house also has antique furniture. Does it make my house look old?

Asked by Aunt Sandee, Asheville, NC Tue Oct 26, 2010

Answers

11
Hi Aunt Sandee, I am currently ripping all the brass that I can out of my house, so I feel your pain. It's can be an expensive proposition. In our market in San Antonio, I have sold homes this year where they were as neat and tidy as could be and they sold, but the home did look dated and it took longer to sell them and they got a little less than market, but probably not as much less than the money they would have spent to update the entire house. Mind you, everything else about the house was in pristine condition. Another, built about the same time spent about $1,000 on light fixtures and installation (He had some painting and other work done too) and his sold in about 1/3 of the time. The feedback was better on the second house, and we actually got a back up offer. So, the point is they both sold, but the amount of time they took to sell.

Your best bet will be to consult with a local agent, preferably one who is a stager or works with a stager or decorator and get their professional advice, based on YOUR market. Asheville is a rather unique city and I am sure it should be qualified by your location in the city. Could you imagine Wiliamsburg or Charleston without the brass?

Stephanie Kelley, ABR, CRS, GRI
http://SanAntonioHomeQuest.com
Keller Williams. Legacy
Hello Aunt Sandee, I am a stager in Asheville. As several people have said, it does depend on the location and the price point of the house. However, in general brass dates a property and is not popular right now. It would probably be a very good idea to replace the brass lighting with a more modern fixture. If you have brass hardware on your cabinets, updating it can help refresh the kitchen and bath. Nickel in a satin finish and dark bronze are both very popular these days. As far as the furniture goes, as was said, the amount of furniture in a room can greatly impact the perceived size of the room. What works for living is not always the best thing for marketing and selling. In selling, less is usually best. Moreover, do you have many patterns on the fabric of the furniture and accessories? Patterns, especially small patterns, make a room cozy for living, but can make the room feel small when selling. To answer your question, yes brass and antiques can have a negative impact on the presentation of your house. Which does not mean throw everything out and start over. I encourage you to contact a professional stager (there are many very good stagers in Asheville) and have a consultation. During most consultations, your stager will examine the curb appeal of the house and the interior and discuss with you the why and what of the changes that will make the greatest positive impact on buyers when they look at your house on the internet and come to see it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 26, 2010
As long as your home has a theme where things go with each other and is clean and not cluttered. enough people watch house hunters now:) to know they can redecorate. However a more modern look tends to sell faster if you are in first time home buyer price range.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 26, 2010
Hello Aunt Sandee,
Your brass lighting should be statement pieces and have that wow factor. If you don't have a good eye for it, ask a friend to look also. If your lighting is the bright polished brass, get rid of it, it cries out cheep. Please look at some of the finishes we offer...http://www.thebrasslamp.com/Finishes.html

Warmest Regards,
Christopher
http://www.thebrasslamp.com
Hi Aunt Sandee,

I work at LightingDirect.com and we sell tens of thousands of lighting products every month. The trend is quickly going away from polished brass. Currently, we only sell about 5% brass light fixtures. In the 60’s, 70’s, & 80’s brass light fixtures were very popular and millions of houses still have brass fixtures. In a young modern community, brass lighting is going to be a deterrent. In an older community, brass might not be as bad.

If you look at our Bathroom Lighting page (linked below), you’ll see the different finish color options available. Oil rubbed bronze, brushed nickel, and black are the most popular finishes these days.

It sounds like you’re trying to get the most you can for your house. You should probably talk to a local real estate agent and determine if updating your lighting fixtures will improve the selling price enough to justify the expense. If you have the basic tools and don’t mind doing some of the work yourself, there are videos out there that show you how to install your lighting fixtures (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9n0NuCP0-g). By installing a light fixture yourself, you can significantly reduce the cost of the upgrade.

Good luck selling your house.

Lars Estrem
Dear Aunt Sandee,

I have an antique brass chandelier in my dining room that I have been moving around for years. I hated the chrome modern fixture that was there as it did not go with my antiques. If the fixtures complement your belongings then I would not remove it. If the furniture goes with the flow of the house leave it. However, I would remove very large items and declutter so that people can see the home. You really need to have an objective eye pass through your home. Not all brass fixtures and antiques are equal......some will date the home, others will make it timeless.

Debbie

Debbie Francis, GRI, ABR, ePRO, GREEN
Prudential Lifestyle Realty
deborah@dhfrancis.com
Dear Aunt Sandee,

As a realtor, I would consider the price range that your home is in as well as the age of the lighting fixtures in deciding which way to go. In general, most buyers do not want the brass lighting right now. If you go to a store such as Lowes or Home Depot, you will see almost no brass lighting for sale.

In general, you can replace lighting and not spend a fortune. If you can do the electrical yourself, or use a friend/relative, it is really not too expensive and will probably keep you from getting the feedback from buyers of "needs updating".

As for the antiques, I would recomend, as another realtor has, moving large pieces out and also removing any extra or really unnecessary furniture. Less is more in real estate! The same goes for objects on furniture and for too many personal photos (I don't believe you have to remove all). If the furniture has an old smell, that could be a turn off to buyers. Smells in a home are very, very important!

With this tight buyers' market, and the large inventory of homes right now in the Asheville area, you need to be competitive. Pricing is key, but you must make your home look as good as possible to be able to be in the running, so to speak. Beautiful landscaping might not sell your home or bring more money, for example, but it may just be the thing that gets those buyers to want to see your home.

Take care and good luck with your preparations to sell.

Joy Perko
Broker
Prudential Lifestyle Realty
7 Orchard Street, Suite 101
Asheville, NC 28801
I would hire a stager. They may be able to do something to make your house more up to date. I've seen brass fixtures with satin threaded through them and it looked really pretty.
Hello Aunt Sandee,

I wouldn't worry too much about either of those things.

What I would recommend is to start by doing things that are free or inexpensive and will make a HUGE impact.

First, a good & thorough spring cleaning (there should be no cobwebs or 'settled' piles of dust anywhere, even in the garage). Don't forget to extend your spring cleaning to the yard. De-weed, clean the gutters, make sure that the grass, bushes and trees are all tidy.

Do all the little repairs (fixing drippy faucets & toilets, replacing burnt out light bulbs, un-sticking sticky doors, replacing furnace filters, etc) that you may have lived with, but may indicate that the home hasn't been well maintained to a buyer. Depending on the condition and colors of your walls you may want to consider painting and definitely paint your exterior trim if it looks worn or weathered. (Re: wallpaper- especially if it peeling or pre-1990's, it would probably be a good idea to get rid of it).

Since you are planning on moving anyway why not start getting rid of clutter and things you don't want to move now? Don't forget the closets and counter tops- open and empty space will make even small homes seem larger and are more appealing to buyers. (Consider a garage sale or donating any usable items).
Anything that you do want to keep but are not using, pack up and put in storage (if you have the option of remote storage, great! but if not, stack the boxes neatly in the garage).

One area that I would spend extra time on is the front door since it's part of your curb appeal and a buyers first impression. The door itself should look good (repaint or polish it), replace your welcome mat, add fresh colorful flowers (in pots if you don't have a flower bed) and unless your door handle looks new, replace it.

Have a great day!
Trevolyn
Sandee,
It's usually a good idea to replace these dated items and you can do so fairly inexpensively. However, you do run the risk of picking something others don't like just as easily.

Your antique furniture might not be a buyers style either but hopefully a buyer's agent can remind them that the home doesn't come with the furniture. Leave the furniture, but keep it simple. Remove all personal items and accessories. You may even considering moving some furniture to make rooms appear larger.

A fresh coat of paint will go a long way. Paint your trim too, expecially if it's the out of date brown stain style. I think that will be worth the effort.

Stacy Carter
Associate Broker
Better Homes & Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers
Auntie,

Many times the doubt and fears sellers have about their home actually turn into assets. There are many people that appreciate the same things you do...it's quite possible that one of these individuals could be your future buyer.

Additionally, there are always minor characteristics that buyers need to be coached to overlook when purchasing a home. Furnishings and light fixtures are among them.

Best wishes with your sale.